GM965 Express - Intel X3100

11 posts in this topic

As previously discussed in several other threads....

Right now there is no QE/CI support for the x3100. IF Mac decides to upgrade the MacBooks to the Santa Rosa platform then there is a decent chance they will use x3100's and we will have our driver. If however they do not then we are flat out of luck.

As previously discussed in several other threads....

Right now there is no QE/CI support for the x3100. IF Mac decides to upgrade the MacBooks to the Santa Rosa platform then there is a decent chance they will use x3100's and we will have our driver. If however they do not then we are flat out of luck.

Hi errandwolfe! Define flat out of luck! Is this a project someone could homebrew by playing around with a Linux driver for x3100, if there is such a thing? So many people have laptops with that chip now! Also, without support for the 3100, what are the limitations of using a laptop with x3100 - is there a workaround so that I can watch DVDs? Is there a list of Applications that won't run?

what are the limitations of using a laptop with x3100

No CI or QE (so no hw acceleration, no fancy effects)

is there a workaround so that I can watch DVDs

Use VLC

Is there a list of Applications that won't run?

No list, but any application that rely on Quartz (basically, hardware acceleration) will not work. DVD player, iLife, FinalCut Studio, etc are among the applications that won't run.

I almost forgot. According to emerging reports, Leopard have some kind of support for the Jmicron controller used by the 965 chipset, so things may change in the future.

framebuffer basically lets you have hardware cursor so no mouse tearing and resolution change. And other features like dual screen, etc..

And without framebuffer, some apps won't launch (Diablo 2 and StarCraft for instance).

Have a nice day :)

Many thanks to Proteo, Erandwolfe and others. I will check back here periodically, or is there already a comprehensive thread I should know about? I'm trying to temper my excitement to a realistic timescale! Hope, optimism and a football stadium's worth of cheers and praise from recent laptop buyers to any heroic type working on it!

Early days yet but it would be edifying if someone comes out with a single mouse click DVD 'updater'. That way more people will go out and BUY Leopard, make a dmg, apply the patch, burn a new DVD. Of course in an ideal world people would skip along to their Apple dealer and buy the hardware. Meanwhile, in the real world, at least the financially disenfranchised are giving Apple a lot of free publicity for their great platform and adding Mac hardware to their wish lists. I still worry that Apple are going to pull an ill thought out gotcha on this whole adventure but I think and hope they remain savvy enough to see that the disadvantages of doing so (irrational bitterness, brand flaming and a mass migration to Linux and Vista customization - anyone remember the excellent flyakite for XP) outweigh any perceived advantages. How many microsoft-locked friends have seen OS X running on a crappy looking PC and gone out and bought a gorgeous iMac! Yep.