Is there a secret GUI in Leopard?

Yami Bakura

33 posts in this topic

The speculation here is ridiculous. Really, would Apple release a whole new GUI without beta-testing it, or giving developers a chance to prepare it? And develop another GUI style just as a "red herring"? Honestly, what you see is what you get. Period. Nothing further.

I'm not sure what Apple's reasons for keeping the GM private is, but piracy would certainly be high on my list.

I don't expect a drastically altered UI, but unified scroll bars and other minor improvements would not surprise me at all.

Aqua does not go in Leopard. Its like pairing Paris the {censored} with the 40 year old virgin, they do not gel.

Aqua does not go in Leopard? Am I missing something here? I mean, I understand the whole Paris Hilton / Steve Carell reference better... and yes, I am just as scared as you are!

What is the source of that info? (That was a rhetorical question)

I think it is fair to say that none of us know what Apple has up their sleeves. A slightly altered UI (or a unified UI with consistent scroll bars, etc*) is very possible, it is also possible that what you see is what you get. I wouldn't bet on anything at this point, as a few people have pointed out, they have kept the Golden Master internal, which leads me to believe that they might have another surprise for us. It is also possible that their only motivation for doing this is to slow down piracy. Very few people know for sure.

Actually, I was wrong about Apple not releasing GM of Leopard to developers being new; apparently they've done this with previous releases as well. (See stevenf of Panic's blog.) So there's not much new here.

Everything you see on Apple's Leopard pages on web site (and the media section of their PR site) is what you're going to get. Trust me. They don't send out those images to all MSM and for public consumption only to pull a switcheraroo in the GM.

Interestingly, though, there's a rumor (semi-confirmed by John Gruber of Daring Fireball) that look of the Dock when on the side has changed (thankfully!) in the GM, from oddly floating beside a shelf to something minus perspective and more like Tiger's Dock, though with some updated graphics. Again, mind you, that's *only* from the side.

So it looks like there will be a few small cosmetic changes. But you'll also note there's zero screenshots of a Dock on the side on Apple's site.

Didnt you see the rest of my post? Those skins are exactly what I hate. Thats hardly an itunes theme, it has itunes scroll bars and a bunch of hideous changes that have nothing to do with OS X or itunes. I have not seen a SINGLE skin that only adds official Apple stuff to make a nice professional look, thats why Im not holding my breath for a leopard skin that ONLY has the scroll bars changed. Changing the traffic light buttons, making their own colors, removing the gradients, or adding some effect to buttons does not count as "only changing the scroll bars". Plus the more changes they make the more bugs the skin has and visual anomalies.