Atheros AR5008 XSPAN 11N wireless mini-PCI card

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried an Atheros AR5008 based 802.11n card? I'm thinking of ordering one, since I know the MacBooks have some type of N Atheros card. Just want to check first to see if this card is one of the ones that shows up natively in Network Pref's... and check that it actually works.

I've got 10.4.8 Jas running pretty much perfect on my Dell Inspiron 8600 - all that's left now is getting the wireless sorted ...

Atheros AR5008 XSpan

802.11n ... costs around $80

Guess nobody here has tried this card yet so I just went ahead and ordered one anyhow (I am made of courage rawrr!) Once I've tried it out I'll post back to this thread in case anyone else wants to try the same card

Sparklan%20WMIA-207GN.jpg

Atheros AR5008 XSpan

802.11n ... costs around $80

Guess nobody here has tried this card yet so I just went ahead and ordered one anyhow (I am made of courage rawrr!) Once I've tried it out I'll post back to this thread in case anyone else wants to try the same card

Great let us know, probably you must add your deviceID etc. in the info.plist file.

Should ship tomorrow! Will take several days to show up though. I'll follow up here as soon as I get it. If it works it'll be quite nice since my Ubuntu and XP installs will get a little N action too - I wanted to avoid just swapping one B/G card for a another B/G card for obvious reasons.

So I got this card and ...

I would HIGHLY recommend it - I did not even have to edit the device ID. If you are using the "IO80211Family.kext" from the normal "AirPortExtremeUpdate2007-004" Apple Update, it will just work - nice little Airport Icon in my menu bar.

802.11N is working too - I installed the enabler. Though I used a hack to install it, that might not have even been necessary... seems as far as my OS is concerned it is just a normal Atheros card. The hack I used was this one:

www.macdotnub.info/tut_n.php.webloc

So yeah, this card is a winner so far!

so....5005? Yep. 5006? Yep. 5007? No. 5008? Yep?!

what the {censored} am I doing wrong!?!?1 ive spent the better part of 3 weeks trying to get my 5007EG working, and 5008 works no problem!?!?!!?

what am i doing wrong!!!! ARGGGGGH!

Not you! Apple. The 5008 is used in Apple's 802.11n cards. The 5007 is not used in any Apple hardware. It's that simple.

I'm in the unhappy state of having both an unsupported chip (Atheros 5007EG) and a PCIe card. :(

So even if I went and bought this card (it's down to around $60 now) it likely won't work in my laptop, because like many who have an Acer/Compaq etc laptop, I have a killswitch on the laptop which kills power to the PCIe card. Unfortunately, OS X doesn't see this/support this, so the card ends up unpowered. Some folks are working on workarounds but AFAIK there is no general solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Sound is working absolutely fine for me.

I've seen some posts here talking about "no sound" and I think that usually occurs after upgrading to 10.4.9 or 10.4.10. I haven't managed to update past 10.4.8 (I've tried three versions of the 10.4.10 update - hang on grey screen or kernel panic every time).

In fact, this wireless card is working better in Mac OS X for me than in XP (signal strength indicator doesnt work) or Ubuntu (haven't found a driver yet).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the name of the store I bought it from on me, but this ought to work - exact same card:http://cgi.ebay.com/Atheros-AR5008-11N-dua...0QQcmdZViewItemCORRECTION: Ignore my previous post. This card is the one actually:http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Atheros-AR5008-XSPA...0QQcmdZViewItemCORRECTION: Ignore my previous post. This is the correct one:http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Atheros-AR5008-XSPA...0QQcmdZViewItem

• 1 year later...

So I just successfully got OSx86 iDeneb v1.3 Leopard 10.5.5 working on an Asus EeePC 1000H 160g. I swapped out the built-in Ralink-based Mini PCI-e wifi card with a GIGABYTE GN-WI06N 802.11 a/b/g/n with the Atheros ar5008 (aka AR5418) chipset. I can confirm that this card works out of box with OSX; I didn't have to fiddle about with drivers at all to get it to work perfectly.

Not only that but it supports packet injection if you're interested in network security.

I have three of these cards, two from Macbook Pros, and 1 from a macbook. I swapped one in this gateway for the sake of getting wifi with x86. I noticed that I was only getting 54mb/s after the install, but I downloaded the latest airport extreme update and installed the package with pacifist, rebooted, and instant N.