best possible custom build. unlimited budget. what should i build?

17 posts in this topic

i posted a specific system i was planning to build.

if i broaden the question, maybe you guys will run with it

without a budget limit, what would be the best parts for a build, as far as speed, reliability, etc

any suggestions?

from case, to cpu cooling, what can i build to run Windows, and OSX?

reason behind the build: i have been working on pc's since i was 11 years old back in 1995/96

i make a living from PC's and technology, and i have always 'shunned' macs because i simply have no expierence.

i have a new found interest in mac since my purchase of an iphone, and client inquiries about mac osx.

you pro's are all i have to turn to! I cant be caught dead in the Apple store!! ;) haha.

thanks

dan

By the mac pro with two xeon quadcores @ 3.0gz. (8 cores total)

You know I think this is exactly the kind of response that he did not want. You may find this hard to believe but there are people out there who like to build their own computers component by component. Especially from the sound of it he just wants to dabble with mac OSX and not use it as his main OS. OSx86 gives him this opportunity. It is the same reason I dabble in it. I prefer Windows to Mac for about 90% of the things I do and I prefer to build my own PCs and have the freedom to choose where I focus my resources on a PC.

To the OP I would recommend the Wiki page for teh OSx86 project to look at a compatable list of Hardware

. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.8 . This should help you decide what you may want to use.

Yeah but the Mac Pro... it's really the best system. But if you wanna go through the schlepp of building your own computer, there are lots of threads on the subject.

Probably a Q6600 with an Asus or Gigabyte P35 or 975x motherboard, lots of RAM, HDD's, and a 7900Gt or 8800 card

hey guys thanks for the responses

redspear is correct. i do not want to buy a mac. windows will be my main focus on the system, but i want to be able to also run osx, and was trying to figure out what hardware i should get..

i have been looking at these components:

Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2

Processor: Intel Q6600 G0 stepping

Memory: 4 gb DDR800

Video: Nvidia 7900GS KO

DVD: Pioneer DVR-111D

would that be better than the components listed above?

i was hoping you guyscould help me narrow it down to parts and model numbers. I'd like to order it right away. but i am a bit nervous about it because I only ever build PC's, not systems compatible with osx.

thanks

great, thankswhat RAM would you use? basically, which one should i plug into newegg and buy!?lookin at 4 gigs.also, the video card.... which manufact? im seeing...XFX PVT71KUDF3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - RetailPNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - RetailXFX PVT71KUDL3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retailetc..thanks!also, any suggestions on where to locate a G0 stepping quad core? looks like its a toss up on the egg.

I don't think you can locate processor's stepping if you are ordering online, cause I'm pretty sure newegg will randomly select any processor available. But if you can actually do that, you might wanna ask them this batch number: L724A858. One of the best batch I've tried for Q6600.

for RAM I recommend CellShock PC2-8000 CS2221440 ( it's GKX, the king, made in German ). or any D9GKX based chips.

you should notice the video its a PCI-E right? any brand is OK, as long as they are using reference card. this XFX PVT71KUDF3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 seems decent.

i really appreiciate all of everyones help on this. thanks again

ascetic: the ram that you recommend, do you have a specific store in mind where I can get it from?

just want to be 100% on all this stuff. and want to order from the right place. so far, the majority of the parts are going to come from egg but, in case you know something i dont, about saving extra $$ or whatever, let me know! thanks

you don't have to buy the ram I mentioned above if you can't. It is just an example of a RAM with D9GKX chip. The link http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/ has every details you need. The most common brands are of course Corsair Dominator Series. They are one of the best but its just way too expensive for me. but if you have unlimited budget you should choose them. They are handpicked D9GMH that can outperform D9GKX.

my Corsair recommendations. click on them for newegg:

1. PC2-8888C4DF DOMINATOR Rev 1.2 (handpicked D9GMH)

2. PC2-9136C5D DOMINATOR Rev 1.1

You know I think this is exactly the kind of response that he did not want. You may find this hard to believe but there are people out there who like to build their own computers component by component. Especially from the sound of it he just wants to dabble with mac OSX and not use it as his main OS. OSx86 gives him this opportunity. It is the same reason I dabble in it. I prefer Windows to Mac for about 90% of the things I do and I prefer to build my own PCs and have the freedom to choose where I focus my resources on a PC.

To the OP I would recommend the Wiki page for teh OSx86 project to look at a compatable list of Hardware

. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.8 . This should help you decide what you may want to use.

WOW - corrected by a guy on his first post. ^_^ No hard feelings and welcome to the board.

Anyway..... I'd get the quad, because ........ I just want one !

The rest is fine.

www.clubit has the Q6600 G0 stepping. I got mine there since NewEgg is still shipping... whatever. Get the OEM version if you didn't plan on using the stock heatsink/fan anyway. I'm still ordering pieces in for my build, but I went with the Gigabyte P-35-DS4, AeroCool Dominator heatsink/fan, 4GB GSkill ram, XFX 7600GT GPU and Ultra 500w PSU in a black Mac-esque Ark E-6099-CA case. My budget wasn't unlimited, I was trying to keep this build to around 1500.

post-126100-1192064655_thumb.jpg