BIOS Problems, can't reconfigure because of lost password.

Carvinite

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have a problem with my Laptop HP Pavilion dv5000, I was going to set it up to run OSx86, and I was working on it earlier and I was going to go into my BIOS to change the boot order, and I haven't been on the BIOS on this computer since I lived in my dorm room at my previous college, and I setup a BIOS password because I had an IT major as a room mate, and he was not a fairly gifted individual, and he would play with my BIOS whenever the urge struck him. So I put a password on it to keep him out of it. That's been about a year ago in september, and I have totally forgoten the password. I have went through and used every password I can think of, but nothing is working.

So the only thing standing in the way of me and OSx86 is one lonely old BIOS password, does anyone know of a way to work around a BIOS password, or is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? I have been doing searches for the last hour or so and can't seem to get anything to work right.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yep, Wenle Z. is correct. But in some cases you have to leave the BIOS battery out for DAYS until its cleared :hysterical: If for some reason that doesn't work, if you can boot Windows, you can flash the BIOS and that will clear all settings as well.

Yeah, it would be cool to know if that app still works. I remember it saved my butt once when I "accidentally" set an admin password on a colleagues PC (you know, as a prank) but then forgot what it was, hehe. ^_^

hecker

That password link is helpful, but I don't know which BIOS I have, do you guys know how I can find that out?

Also in reply to Hecker, Im not sure how to run those apps to make them wipe the password, im really afraid to play to much with them, I think im going to mess something up. Any tips on using those?

Just go into your BIOS (can you?) and see what it says on the top. Thats your BIOS model. Also, if you have a computer manual or a motherboard book the BIOS type should be listed there. If you don't feel comfortable with software tools, then just use the old fashioned "take the battery out" method. Its really simple and the battery is clearly visible on the motherboard.

Wiped the CMOS with the ultimateboot CD....trying to boot OSx86 for the first time. Thanks guys.now it's in a dos style screen and it just says Loading Darwin/x86...OHHH WAIT UP A MINUTE, I've got a logo....I've got a logo....hell yea!

Wait a second.....but now it's stuck on the logo screen with the little loading wheel underneath...and it's just palying music....Any ideas on whats going on?

Yea, i even plugged it into the power supply, and tried to boot up again, and it sits at the screen with an apple, and it has the little load wheel on it....It's been there for about 20 minutes now.....this sucks, any ideas? a bad Os install maybe?

It's playing music? The only music I remember during install comes at the multi-language "Welcome" screen. That would indicate something hanging up pretty deep into the installation process. Could be a video driver. Can you boot in safe mode?

Just tried to and it wouldn't let me, I think im going to wipe the install and retry it again later....What would be the best way to go about wiping the OS from the external hard drive without damaging it...It's a MAxtor 120 gig hard drive.

Thanks

Ryan

Sorry about not replying earlier, but last night I was at my aunt and uncles house and they have really really crappy dial-up...but i began tinkering around with some stuff, and I changed up my install options, and on the last time I went to install, I ONLY installed the AMD sse2/3 driver thingy, and the essintial software that it makes you install.....and this led to a clean install, I can boot into OSx86...and play, but I cannot connect to a wirless network (something is wrong with airport, any ideas?) and I can't watch dvd's on it...

So the only two problems I have right now are Airport, and watching movies, and ideas on what wrong there?

Thanks alot guys,

ryan