Sharing an NTFS volume mounted in OSx86 to (XP) PCs?

jbjonas

7 posts in this topic

OK, here's my problem. I'm now successfully running 10.4.1 natively on my PC. Everything is running great. I even got my Laser Printer working (after compiling my own driver from the HP/Sourceforge source code :blink: ) My last problem is with Network shares. My network consists of 3 computers. My XP laptop, my XP file and print server, and my *now* dual boot XP and OSx86 box, which I would like to run as OS-X all the time. The problem is with sharing the 3 partitions from XP (NTFS) that are in the dual boot box. OSx86 can share HFS+ files no prob. It can read from the NTFS local partitions no prob. It can use network NTFS shares fine through Samba. The other XP machines have no problem seeing the HFS+ shares either. ***However, if I try to access one of the shares of the local NTFS drives while OSx86 is running, my XP machines can connect and see the contents, but 99% of the folders in the share directory structure only show up as default windows files with no extensions, and I can't open them to access their contents. Strange huh? I can FTP or SSH into the OSx86 box just fine from anywhere and see the NTFS drives fine just like I do when I'm sitting in front of the OSc86 machine. I'm guessing there is some problem with the way OS-X shares the NTFS drives that makes them useless to XP machines on the network. Has anyone else had this problem, or have a solution. I can't find any related info about this in the wiki, forum, or elsewhere, so I have decided to start this thread. This is really driving me nuts since it's the only thing keeping me from never booting up my main machine as XP again! :) Any help or comments or similar situations would be much much much appreciated. Thanks.

This is a screenshot of what I see when trying to connect from my XP laptop. All of the 0KB entries of type 'file' are actually folders, and I can see them fine locally from OS-X!

ntfs_share_problem.JPG

Well, is there anyone else out there who has even experienced this problem? Help!

I'm guessing there is some problem with the way OS-X shares the NTFS drives that makes them useless to XP machines on the network.... it's the only thing keeping me from never booting up my main machine as XP again! :hysterical:
Do you get the same problem with sharing a FAT32 volume on OSX86 ? .... I guess the more you learn about OSX86, the more flaws you see? (and don't get me started on Spotlight) :angry: If you just trying to use OSX86 as a server for your MP3 files, why not just put them on FAT32? :D

Thanks thrunner, unfortunately I have no FAT32 drives to try- maybe I'll dig up an old IDE drive and try it. Being a PC person (due to cost) since 1997, I've been trained that NTFS performs much better, and plus there is the size limitation problems with FAT32 (I know you can get around that, but...). So all three XP systems I have run nothing but NTFS drives. The Main System in question, has two HFS+ partitions on one drive with no problems. It also has 3 NTFS partitions from XP on 2 drives, all of which I would like to be able to share with other XP machines while running OSx86. I guess I could convert the two non-system XP drives to FAT32, but I really don't want to do that, as I am trying to leave the XP system entirely intact. Anyway, I think you may have something there, to see if I have the same problem with a FAT32 drive - I'm willing to bet that the problem arises with how OSx86 shares the NTFS permissions (or doesn't) and then how the remote XP systems see them. Here's an idea - maybe I'll put OSx86 on my laptop and see if it sees the shares properly... Any more ideas much appreciated.

I think W/R support for NTFS is a long ways from being implimented on OS X. Linux has tried for years but it only got to as far as renaming and deleting files on NTFS filesystems.

The other way around this sharing limitation is to use a Linux EXT3 partition. There is already an application that will mount+read+write Linux partitions in Windows. I know of one Mac developer that created an application that will mount+read+write Linux partitions. The problem is, he hasen't gotten around to compiling it for Tiger 10.4.x and above. I guess we wil just have to wait, or give him some incentive to make it a unibin.

I also considered creating an HFS+ partition dedicated to file storage. Then you would have to install an application in windows that could read and write to that partition. The "no extention" on files are normal when trying to access Mac files from a Windows invironment. You need to install an application that will convert Mac files to make it sensable for Windows.

... The "no extention" on files are normal when trying to access Mac files from a Windows invironment. You need to install an application that will convert Mac files to make it sensable for Windows.

Ok, if that is the case with my share (I assume that the above holds true even for XP -> read 'ntfs' - files that are being shared through a mac) then does anybody have a suggestion for a good utility to see Mac files in Windows XP? I've tried a few with very little success, and probably gave up prematurely. Thanks everyone for your advice :(

Ok, if that is the case with my share (I assume that the above holds true even for XP -> read 'ntfs' - files that are being shared through a mac) then does anybody have a suggestion for a good utility to see Mac files in Windows XP? I've tried a few with very little success, and probably gave up prematurely. Thanks everyone for your advice :angry:

I use MacDrive everyday.

Best regards.