Flashing an ATI HD2900XT... Possible?

Ooze3d

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I wanted to know if there're news about the HD2xxx ATI cards. I have my OSX installed and working but I cannot use it since I need my card to be fully supported. I'm a video editor, so I need full resolution (1920x1200), full color and acceleration. So far I have 1600x1200 and no acceleration at all.

Is it possible to flash it? If it is, how is it done? Is there any step by step tutorial?

If not, I'm thinking about getting myself a new fully supported card. It has to be fast at 1920x1200 though. I know it must have 256 Mb so I don't have to flash it. What do you think? Ati? Nvidia?

Thanks!

JaE-V, you mean a Nvidia 7900GT 256Mb? I was thinking about a 1950XT... I haven't seen much about any of them yet. Which one's better? I've been installing ATI in all my computers for years... Wouldn't mind trying out a Nvidia.

One very important thing is HD video editing. I need it fast and smooth.

lol if im thinking of what ur thinking (coz im also a movie maker) u ant get final cut pro working on it hehe.. unless i guess u have a really good comp with rosetta working perfectly even then ud have to get a universal version of it which is tough.. ummm of course if ur an avid guy mebbe u can use xp itself.. not much of a difference.. ur lookout.. and flashing a 2xxx series is extreme.. theres no images out.. :P ull probably end up screwin up ur card :) dont even think of going there..

oh one more thing.. u just said u were thinking of 2xxx and then u said x1950 wats with that..

@Ooze3d - FYI: nVidia cards with greater than 256mb ram need to have their firmware (rom) flashed to be compatible with OSX86. 256mb cards work fine the way they are. Flashing the rom is similar to upgrading your system bios or the firmware of your DVD burner. It generally adds some new capability to your hardware. For example and NEC burner that can only write to discs at 8x speed might get a firmware upgrade that allows the same burner to burn at 16x speed. Flashing is pretty safe today as long as you have the right image to flash to the right firmware. Takes less than two minutes and your card (if there were a rom flash available for it) would still work the same way as always under windows, but now it will be able to work with OSX86 as well.

That being said, no matter how safe something is, nothing is foolproof, so you always run the risk of damaging your card. And as was mentioned above, there's nothing to flash a 2xxx card with right now anyway. And since it's an ATI card, chances are it won't need flashing to start with...if and when the drivers do become available.

The nVidia 7900 and 7950 are excellent with good support and reports are that the 1950X is also fully supported using the jccools method.

Well, the rest of my comp is a Core2Quad, 4Gb of RAM, a fully supported Asus mainboard, two sata HDDs... and so far everything works perfect appart from the graphic card, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble to run Final Cut. I'm not expecting it to go blazing fast, just an average performance, but I don't want the graphic card to slow everything down.

So what do you say? What's the fastest card out there fully working right out of the box (or at least easy to setup)?

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

I wanted to know if there're news about the HD2xxx ATI cards. I have my OSX installed and working but I cannot use it since I need my card to be fully supported. I'm a video editor, so I need full resolution (1920x1200), full color and acceleration. So far I have 1600x1200 and no acceleration at all.

Is it possible to flash it? If it is, how is it done? Is there any step by step tutorial?

If not, I'm thinking about getting myself a new fully supported card. It has to be fast at 1920x1200 though. I know it must have 256 Mb so I don't have to flash it. What do you think? Ati? Nvidia?

Thanks!

I am also having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 9400. Any help? Thanks in advance.