intel G33 / GMA 3000 supported? possible to combine with other gfxcard?

OSXLion

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I am up to get a new PC and it should be able to run OSX86.

I want to get a intel system with this mainboard:

Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R, G33 (dual PC2-6400U DDR2)

Specs: G33/ICH9R • µATX • VGA/USB 2.0/FireWire/Gb LAN/6x SATA II RAID/7.1 Audio (ALC889A) • 1x PCIe x16, 1x PCIe x4, 2x PCI • unterstützt Intel Core 2 Duo/Extreme/Quad 45nm • unterstützt FSB 333MHz (1333MHz)

It has an onboard gfx chip (intel GMA 3000). Is this onboard grafik fully supported in OSX86? Is CI/QE enabled?

Now I would like to have a fast gf card that seems to be not yet supported in OSX86 - a Radeon 2900pro.

Is it possible to use the onboard grafik unit in OSX86 while using the 2900pro in windows for games? If so, how could this be done?

thanks and best

Lion

I haven't heard anything about GMA 3000. Thing is, the GMA 3x00 series has quite a few different versions so developing a driver might be complicated. The GMA 3000 and X3000 are both Shader Model 3.0 parts on a completely new design (X3000 may be SM 4) but GMA 3100 is very similar to GMA 950 so with some shennanigans it may work. According to the specs I found your board actually has the GMA-3100, not 3000 so I'm sure a driver will be made available in the near future as G33 boards become more common.

Oh yes sorry - i mixed that one up. It's the GMA 3100 and it's a follow up chip to the GMA 950.

So as soon as there is a working driver for this onboard chip - can I use it parallel to another "high-end" gfx card in OSX? So that the onboard solution works in OSX and the dedicated card in windows for games?

this would relief me from the pain of searching the right video card..

Thanks

Lion

Thanks for your help.

What about going back one genertion and taking the 965 chipset, i.e. this one:

Q965/ICH8DO • µATX • VGA/USB 2.0/Gb LAN/SATA II RAID/7.1 Audio (ALC888) • 1x PCIe x16, 1x PCIe x1, 2x PCI • unterstützt Intel Core 2 Duo/Extreme/Quad

They have the GMA 3000. Is this one supported? Or would I have to go back another generation and get a 945 board with GMA950 in order to have full CI/QE support?

thanks!

Lion

Why not just get a supported video card instead of changing boards?

I don't think anyone is going to find it worth the effort to develop a kext for X3000 series chips... they're weak in the graphics world...

Just get a supported video card. 256MB 7900GT is a great option. I wish mine hadn't busted off a transistor when I was building this system...

• 1 year later...