Playstation 3 and OS X

alvin777

5 posts in this topic

It isn't likely to happen. The hardware is simply too different from what Apple ships (either PPC or Intel). While the CPU is based on the PowerPC, it is still quite different than the ones that Apple used in earlier Macs. What might be possible would be to install Linux then run OS X via Mac-on-Linux. This will, however, only run up to 10.3.9.

wait for xbox 360 hacking... as i know its possible if you relace the 100mb rom chip with a ram chip that has a bootloader on it.. its ppc 3core processore

Right now, the Playstation 3 is more likely to support OS X than the Xbox 360 because Sony hasn't done as much to lock out people from installing an alternative OS (in fact, they encourage it). Both systems use similar processors, but the rest of the hardware in the systems is unlikely to be supported in OS X (video, network, wireless, etc.).

Yeah, I think the Xbox360 is pretty much proprietary and increasely locked down by MS with each firmware update. I think the fact that two years have passed since the system introduction (weird to say that, as games like Bioshock look breathtakingly veridical) and there haven't been any significant hacks or complete reverse-engineering success stories is a sign that it is just not going to happen. As for the PS3, I'd think that processor architecture is too foreign for non-game coders and a lot of OS code would have to be rewritten and hand-tuned.