Little Snitch for Windows...

gloria

12 posts in this topic

I've seen this question asked by members of other forums but wasn't entirely satisfied with the answers I saw. Since the InsanelyMac community is the smartest, I figured I'd pose the question here.

I love Little Snitch. I am new to PCs (as of this morning). Before doing anything with this computer I wanted to install Little Snitch as well as some programs to prevent Malware etc..I am very surprised that I haven't been able to find something like little snitch that will prevent outgoing traffic and ask your permission before an app tries to 'phone home'.

Any advice?

Also, any suggestions on good Anti-Virus, Security, etc.. programs?

Thanks,

g :(

I've seen this question asked by members of other forums but wasn't entirely satisfied with the answers I saw. Since the InsanelyMac community is the smartest, I figured I'd pose the question here.

I love Little Snitch. I am new to PCs (as of this morning). Before doing anything with this computer I wanted to install Little Snitch as well as some programs to prevent Malware etc..I am very surprised that I haven't been able to find something like little snitch that will prevent outgoing traffic and ask your permission before an app tries to 'phone home'.

Any advice?

Also, any suggestions on good Anti-Virus, Security, etc.. programs?

Thanks,

g :(

kaspersky antihacker if you want contorl over incoming and outgoing packets, kaspersky antivirus or nod32 antivirus as an antivirus solution

free soft firewall with app control (in no particular order):

ZoneAlarm free version (since many years)

Comodo

Sunbelt (formerly Kerio) Personal Firewall

... and others.

And then there are commercial ones.

So the choice for Windows is plentiful (out of necessity ;) ).

For Mac, I'm still searching for a freeware version...

If you can find AtGuard on the internet, download and try it. It does everything Little Snitch does and more. It was a great product but Norton bought the company and dumbed the product down, turning it into their own Fisher-Price firewall offering. AtGuard can still be found, it works perfectly on XP (as long as you turn off Windoze Firewall) and it has enough power for most purposes.

Other than that, Kerio/Sunbelt gives great control as long as you turn on "Advanced" mode.

• 2 weeks later...