SATA on new Toshiba A215 AMD Turion 64X2 HELP!

quartopiano

20 posts in this topic

I have a Toshiba A215

Proc: AMD64 X2 Turion

Grafic Card: ATI Radeon X1200

HD: SATA

I ' ve already made 3 partitions:

Vista | Debian-etch | and I want to install OSX

Bootloader: Grub

The Mac os installer (MYZAR 10.4.9) starts great but no partitions at all!!!

I' ve tryed different ways:

1)I formatted the 3rd partition as Fat32

activated it with diskpart ...

but nothing.

2) format partition as id=af

nothing

3) Gparted (LIVE CD) format the partition (max. is 2GB) as HFS

nothing

The osx installer can't see any partition.

Any suggestions?

4) I' m downloading DVD Patcher

or those that want to get a quick rundown on the relevant kext information included/not included in this patcher, bender notes this in the Installation but it's repeated here for clarity:

"Extensions that were taken from the Darwin 8 CD that are installed:
AppleAC97Audio.kext (And all PlugIns)
ApplePS2Controller.kext (And all PlugIns)
AppleGenericPCATA.kext (Gets put under IOATAFamily.kext)
AppleOnboardPCATA.kext (Gets put under IOATAFamily.kext)
AppleVIAATA.kext (Gets put under IOATAFamily.kext)
AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext - Just the Info.plist from Darwin. (Gets put under IOATAFamily.kext)

What's the better way?

WMWARE....?

I appreciate also direct reply to quartopiano@gmail.com

Thanks

Boot installer disk > Utilities Menu > DiskUtility

Create your partition from there and enjoy MacOS

The problem is that I don't want to format the entire HD.

I have a free partition for OSX 55GB ready

but Osx can't see the HD at all.

No partitions - no HD

What can I do?

You say that I have to format ...but there is no HD -_-

Im no AMD chipset expert as im all Intel myself, but with my first Hacintosh, I had to format the drive, or partition in your case, that I wanted to use before I could see it in the installer.

If that doesnt work, I have no other suggestions for you.

• 1 month later...

chances are your toshiba uses one of the sb series southbridges, ie sb400, sb600 etc... the install dvd will not recognize this by default, thus you would have to patch it adding the appropriate kexts... also note that in the plugins directory for ioatafamily.kext, if you add the appleonboardpcata.kext, you need to remove the applegenericpcata.kext as the two will conflict.

I have had the same problem and ended up installing onto a usb harddrie, adding sata support, then restoring the disk to my internal partition using the disk utility, now all i need to do is restore the darwin boot loader to the internal disk and it should be done.

• 2 months later...

You can find the kexts by searching the internet for sb600 kext. I originally had OS X installed on the usb hdd, so the boot loader was already there, so i booted off of the dvd and brought up the disk utility, and without deleting the partition on the usb hdd, erased it and restored the dvd to the hdd. This resulted in a bootable hdd with the install on it, which i then used terminal to unpack the Extensions.mkext to a temp folder where i added the sb600 kexts and removed applegenericpcata.kext from it, restored permissions, and rebulit the Extensions.mkext file and Extensions.Kextcache. (The Extensions.mkext is a flattened directory, so any and all plugins have to be separated out) This allows the usb hdd to recognize my sata controller and internal hdd. I then procede to install as normal, however when the process is completed, you will have to add the sb600 kexts to the internal installation as well, and when you reboot, boot off the usb drive, but at the bootloader screen add the rdisk=disk0s1 or s whateverver depending on which partition, this will allow the internal hdd to rebuild kexts and be bootable.

Problems and other thoughts: Anytime the kexts are changed, it cannot boot from internal hdd untill they are rebuilt, so i have to use the above mentioned trick using the usb drive to do this, and i have yet to find a solution. Still no graphics acceleration support for this bridge. Still no audio support for this particular codec. boot takes a few mins due to a problem with diskarb, most likely due to the sata kexts, still no workaround that i have found. And the mini-pci-e realtek 8187b wireless card has no drivers, if you contact realtek, they will sentd drivers for the usb, however i have failed to get the client to function, as it simply hangs everytime it is run, so no internet via wireless. Tried to get onboard nic to function, havent played with it too much, but one set of kexts i used simply resulted in a non-bootable system.

if you have access to a mac, it would be considerably easier to just change the install disk and reburn it, but realize that it is a hybrid disk, so any changes made will most likely result in the image having to be repatched.

If you want to avoid having to add the kexts after installing to the internal hdd, you may look into adding a package to the install disk with the other packages.

My overall opinion is that it is not worth trying to get OS X Running on a toshiba 215 with the sb600 sb and ati x1200 graphics. There isnt enough support, its very complicated to get to run, and drivers are non-existant, so the result is a less than useful macbook with very few features, and many programs like adobe products, etc, will not even load. Perhapse the introduction of pc-efi v8 will change some of the software crashing issues, only time will tell, i have not had the chance yet to test pc-efi or verify if it even works with amd yet, answers are still a little fuzzy.

Clearly if someone is looking for a cheap alternative to a macbook, then intel is the obvious way to go, as mac actually supports much of intels hardware already, and usually only minor changes are needed. Check hardware compatibility lists before buying a laptop for the purposes of creating a homebrew mac only. However, If you want a challenge and have the ability to write kexts for mac, then go for an amd.

Hope this is helpful in any way.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks.... I guess I have to give up on installing OS x86 in this case.... Do you think Leopard supports any of those devices you spoke about? Appreciate your response.

Regards,

AD

Im currently in th process of testing out leopard, unfortunatly its just as difficult to install, due to the sb600 sata drivers, so i have not had a chance to get it running. The chances of it fully supporting the graphics card are slim to none, however, im hoping that it can run the realtek wlan utility so that at least internet will ba usable, as well as the posibilty to run apps like photoshop, etc. Ill post any information i have regarding how leopard runs on the sb600 once i get it up and "running".

-MHT

• 2 weeks later...
Im currently in th process of testing out leopard, unfortunatly its just as difficult to install, due to the sb600 sata drivers, so i have not had a chance to get it running. The chances of it fully supporting the graphics card are slim to none, however, im hoping that it can run the realtek wlan utility so that at least internet will ba usable, as well as the posibilty to run apps like photoshop, etc. Ill post any information i have regarding how leopard runs on the sb600 once i get it up and "running".

-MHT

So if I am getting this right, are there no versions of OSX that will work at all on a A215 with the sb600 sata drivers? Not even tiger?

Well, i never said it wouldnt work at all, i did have tiger "running", but thats all i can say about it. It will not run out of the box, it needs a lot and lot of tweaking; it has no graphics acceleration, so no chance of chaning resolution, doing graphics work, playing games or anything like that; also it will not run many applications such as any of the apple iLife products, adobe products, and just about anything else i tried. So in conclusion, yes, it will run, but no you can not do anything productive in it.

Also, i have not yet tried leopard, im going to have to use the same method i used for tiger to install due to lack of sata drivers, and i just got my laptop fixed from where the hdd crashed(way to go toshiba, only 4 mo old) but it was free so, no complaints.

You need to install the AppleVIAATA.kext in order for OS X to recognize your SATA HDD.

GOOD LUCK

Would I have to place the AppleVIAATA.kext for the install dvd or after the install?

I have also heard of adding AppleOnboardPATA.kext fixes this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

i've been at this for quite a while now, i managed to get zephyroth v.1 to install and run on single core but that was about it, i wiped the system and haven't been able to get it goin since. i downloaded jas 10.4.8 and can run installer but doesn't see sata. i too have a a215 laptop. what would i have to patch to get it to see sata and how would i go about doing it?

@impulsion

You would have to try one of a few different methods. They usually involve replacing the AppleViaATA.kext or the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext. Try searching around here or on google. I too have yet to get anything working other than vmware.

Good luck.

• 6 months later...