Install: Good; Boot: Bad

DarkLord7854

54 posts in this topic

Are you partitioning or just formatting in Disk Utility? If you are just formatting (Erase Partition) then there is no option. If you are Partitioning in Disk Utility, then there is an Options button at the bottom center of the screen. You must choose Master Boot Record here.

The best way to do this is to either (1) when you install Windows, create a 2nd primary partition using Partition Magic or whatever you use to partition the disk, but leave the partition blank/unformatted. Then just Earse this partition using Disk Utility then install

OR

(2) if you are installing OS X alone with no other OS on the machine, then use Disk utility to Partition (choosing Master Boot Record under Options) then installing.

These boot problems are almost always caused by using something to create the OS X partition that does not create it properly. Just create an empty, unformatted primary partition and let Disk Utility do the rest. This has always worked for me, using Partition Magic.

Thanks for replying, I deleted the partition and created a partitioned unformatted space on the disk, now going to go into OSX and try to partition it with the MBR option, though I don't recall seeing any sort of Options button. You wouldn't have any screenshots by any chance?

When you launch disk utility you need to click on the DRIVE on the left NOT THE PARTITION. Then click the Partition tab. There will be 5 buttons on the bottom: Split, Delete, Options..., Revert, Partition.

Click the options button and make sure you have Master Boot Record (I use GUID Partition Table on mine), and then click ok then format the drive.

I noticed you selected Intel SSE2 as your customization options... I believe your CPU is SSE3... Might want to try SSE3 instead if it's available. The JaS image of 10.4.8 i got is SSE2 + SSE3.

Good Luck

Again, if you have already created the partition (what did you use?), then you just need to format it (Erase in Disk Utility). The partition must be primary. Erasing it in Disk Utility will set it to the correct type. The Options button only appears when you are Partitioning in Disk Utility, not Erasing.

Thanks for the replies, the "Options" tab/button is definitely not there, no matter what I click, I managed to get it to install and start booting, shows that Apple logo and the turning thingy, but then after a while the screen goes on standby =\

Start up in single user mode. While it's booting hold f8 and use -s on the boot screen. After that see what is halting or erroring. It sounds like a graphics card driver.

Start up in single user mode. While it's booting hold f8 and use -s on the boot screen. After that see what is halting or erroring. It sounds like a graphics card driver.

Yea I figured it's with the video card, I have a 7900GS

Are you using a DVI cable to your monitor?

Yep, does it only work with VGA?

Thanks for the replies guys :(

I have to install it from within OSX though right?

If you can get the kext onto your harddrive, you can boot into single user mode and put the kext in /System/Library/Extensions/.

Repair permissions reboot and try it. If that doesn't work then you will need to add your device ids to the info.plist in the kext. Look it up as there are a lot of tutorials around that explain how to do that.

If you can get the kext onto your harddrive, you can boot into single user mode and put the kext in /System/Library/Extensions/.

Repair permissions reboot and try it. If that doesn't work then you will need to add your device ids to the info.plist in the kext. Look it up as there are a lot of tutorials around that explain how to do that.

Well the problem is that I can't boot since the screen turns off (standby) when it starts booting :S

I switched my screen to VGA, put a DVI-to-VGA adapter, booted, and it worked :P

Now my only problems are:

1) PS/2 keyboard doesn't work

2) Ethernet doesn't work

3) It can't read my SATA2 drive

4) Doesn't seem to like my X-Fi card

Any fixes available for any of those?

Thanks for the help

1) PS/2 keyboard doesn't work

Boot from install DVD and enter the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

dp="/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)" <--- use quotes, no parentheses

nano "$dp/usr/bin/nano $dp/etc/rc.local"

# Near the end before the "exit" line add the following lines:

kp="/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns"

kextunload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"

kextload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"

Boot from install DVD and enter the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

dp="/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)" <--- use quotes, no parentheses

nano "$dp/usr/bin/nano $dp/etc/rc.local"

# Near the end before the "exit" line add the following lines:

kp="/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns"

kextunload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"

kextload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"

Thanks for the reply, though that's a bit hard to do if I can't type in the first place ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I'm new to the forums and this whole Hackintosh deal.

I'm having an almost identical problem to the one in this post. The install went fine, but when it comes time to boot, after the BIOS screen I just get a blinking white cursor and that's it. Somehow I got the install to boot once with the CD still in, but I could never reproduce that. I was going to try the steps that micropheonix suggested, but I really don't want to load Windows back on the machine as I'm trying to make it a single boot system. If something can be done from a Linux-live CD, I'd be more than willing to try that. Any responses would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi there. I'm new to the forums and this whole Hackintosh deal.

I'm having an almost identical problem to the one in this post. The install went fine, but when it comes time to boot, after the BIOS screen I just get a blinking white cursor and that's it. Somehow I got the install to boot once with the CD still in, but I could never reproduce that. I was going to try the steps that micropheonix suggested, but I really don't want to load Windows back on the machine as I'm trying to make it a single boot system. If something can be done from a Linux-live CD, I'd be more than willing to try that. Any responses would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

it SOUNDS like you didn't get the drive formatted correctly. You don't NEED windows in order to format the drive correctly. Just boot off of your osx86 disk and go to disk utility in the utilities menu. Then when you format the drive, make sure you format the DRIVE and not the PARTITION. Then on the partition tab there should be a button for Options. Format it as a GUID drive. This is what intel macs use. If that doesn't work then try MBR. Some respont to MBR formatting.

If this doesn't work reply back and we'll go from there.

OK, like above, I can't get the Options button to apear. I clicked the drive, and Erased it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then went to the Partition tab and there's no Options button. I even tried deleting the partition that was created and making it all Free Space, but still no Options button. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm running an HP Pavilion a1140n. The specs I know are listed below:

3.0 P4 HT supporting SSE3 and whatnot

1.0 GB DDR

250 GB SATA HD

PCI Radeon 9200 (Pretty sure it's the 9200)

Onboard video Intel, but it's disabled in BIOS.

Lightscribe DVD-RW/DL

DVD-ROM

OK, like above, I can't get the Options button to apear. I clicked the drive, and Erased it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then went to the Partition tab and there's no Options button. I even tried deleting the partition that was created and making it all Free Space, but still no Options button. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm running an HP Pavilion a1140n. The specs I know are listed below:

3.0 P4 HT supporting SSE3 and whatnot

1.0 GB DDR

250 GB SATA HD

PCI Radeon 9200 (Pretty sure it's the 9200)

Onboard video Intel, but it's disabled in BIOS.

Lightscribe DVD-RW/DL

DVD-ROM

Yep.. I never saw an Options button, I even tried different versions of OSX

Negative. Doesn't appear at all. I have the install booted with the DVD in the drive. If I remove the DVD, it won't boot. I get the blinking for all eternity white cursor.

Of course, when I open Disk Utility from the booted install, the frickin' Options button is there! lol. My partition scheme at the bottom says Master Boot Record.

Serial ATA

Internal

Device 0

...so I'm assuming it's a master drive.

Appreciate the response! Looking forward to the next.