Install: Good; Boot: Bad

DarkLord7854

54 posts in this topic

Hi,

Managed to install OSX 10.4.8 JaS, went real smoothly, was done fairly quickly, however when it was restrating, it shut off and went to a BIOS screen saying something along the lines of:

"MACrestarting"

And merely stayed there for an hour until I got bored and hit the reset button, then tried to boot up from it, but it doesn't seem to recognize it as a bootable drive because BIOS immediatly switches to booting from the network even though I told it to boot from HD (I had removed the DVD right after hitting the reset switch).

I only had 1 HD connected to the computer, and that was the one I was istalling OSX on, it was a completely empty drive and I formatted it correctly and all.

So am wondering how do I make my system boot the OS?

I run an eVGA 680i Mobo with a E6300 CPU and 2Gbs of ram

Thanks in advance

P.S. I did some searching but didn't find anything really fitting my problem, if there is a thread I missed though, then please link me to it and I aplogize. Thanks again ;)

52 views no replies Hehe..

Anyways, update, when I manually try to boot from the HD (with DVD in), and don't hit any keys to install the OS, it'll try to boot (I think) but says theres something missing and then immediately reboots. I think it's missing a boot list or something?

Comments would be appreciated and welcome, thanks

Hey I'm not an expert on this. But while installing the OS I had to do it a couple of times before succeeding, so I would say burn the DVD again, at very low speeds, no more than 4x, then try to do the installation again, remember the disk utility, erase mac (journal) don't change the name, then when you get to select the drivers, read carefully and try to install it plain with just the Intel SSE3, and whatever is selected already, then see what happens, then try the "loginwinow" if it fails, and whatever you think is really needed, if after a couple of tries everything fails, try another DVD such as uphuck.

It can be very frustrating, but hey is free and it's not supposed to be installed in a PC so it can take some work. I kind of had the same problem, but mine wouldn't say anything after boot, and I would also only allowed the computer to boot from HD.

Hope it helps,

Veneco

Thanks for replying :)

I've been slaving at it all day, burned 18 DVDs now, from 1X to 18X speeds, I've tried enabling/disabling a core, and I've tried 2 different DVD versions of the install, they all hang on the same part.

What's interesting is that if I boot up the install after installing again, and go to "Boot Device" or w/e it's called, it shows the fully installed and ready HD with OSX on it (other then the DVD one), and when I click it and click reboot, it does that same thing again. It's getting really aggravating =\

Thanks for the reply :D

Linked is a DXDiag analysis:

http://tech-burrow.com/dxdiagdl.txt

For a quick breakdown though, system is as follows:

Processor:

Intel® Core™2 CPU E6300 @ 1.86GHz

Memory:

2048Mbs OCZ DDR2 800

Hard Drive:

500GBs SATA2 (Windows XP)

120Gbs IDE (OSX)

Video Card:

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

Monitor:

Hanns-G 19" Widescreen

Sound Card:

Creative X-Fi X-treme Gamer

Keyboard:

Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse:

Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

Operating System:

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Motherboard:

eVGA nVidia 680i 122-CK-NF68

Hardware Name (socket type): 680i SLI socket 775

Chipset: nForce 680i SLI

Notes: Fully working without patching Audio working via AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip (2channel out), IDE/USB/Firewire works natively; no SATA, no ethernet (will try nforce4sata; punted on ethernet and bought a linksys LNE100TX add-in card w/tulip drivers) (Make sure to install titan or you will get screen that promotes you to reset your computer)

Install: JaS DVD 10.4.8 (SSE2/SSE3/PPF1/PPF2) (had unable to find root device issues with earlier JaS 10.4.8 release)

Lifted this off the Wiki. Did you choose to install Titan?

Just did a bit of a forum search and it would appear that the MACH Reboot hanging problem is chipset related:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=MACH+reboot

Hi are you sure disk has only one partition and disk is MBR ? I found that if you partion a disk with some releases and select default you get two partions one small one which the PC tries to boot from and the main installation partition.

I think your problem is the SATA HDD, look around for some solutions, there are drivers that you can find online. Also look on the installation DVD I don't remember well but I think it is there.

OSX is not installed on the SATA drive, it's installed on the IDE one, and the SATA isn't plugged in

I have a solution for your problem, but it may take a while. You need to install a version of windows on your pc (if you have one), or otherwise install linux ubuntu. (it will have to delete OS X) You will need an os on that pc to complete the real task. You need to be able to access the disk on which your OS X is installed to add a file called "chain0" and "mach-kernel" to it from your install disk. When this is on the partition, you will be able to use the darwin x86 bootloader to choose to load your disk. You also need to mark your partition as active. I will give you links of places to find out how to do this, and some info too. To dual boot go to www.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=post&do=reply_post&????? (I forgot) (Just use my info) Windows:You need to make a partition in that unpartitioned space first. The easiest way is this:1. Boot into Windows2. open a command prompt3. type: "diskpart" and hit enter4. type: "select disk 0" and hit enter (assuming this is the only hard drive in your machine)5. type: "create partition primary id=af" and hit enter (it should respond after a few seconds that it created the partition)6. type: "exit" and hit enter (this will exit diskpart)7. close the command prompt window8. boot from your OS X install CD and start Disk Utility9. select the new partition (NOT the drive), go to the Erase tab (NOT partition) and erase the partition, formatting it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and give it a name10. Exit Disk Utility and proceed with your install11. Once you've installed and rebooted into windows, go to the partition where you've installed OS X. (You'll need MacDrive 9.0 to do this)12. Copy the file "chain0" from your install dvd to your partition. (Directly, not in a folder) (ex. L:\chain0)13. Right click on your install dvd, and click "view mac files". (You need MacDrive 9)14. Copy "mach_kernel" to your partition from your install dvd. (Directly again)15. Right click on computer from the start menu, and click Manage.16. Go to disk management and right click on your os x partition, and click mark as active.17. Reboot your computer and mac os x should open.Known problems:If it boots and says "HFS+ Partition Error" I don't know what to do.If you want to boot into Windows again, insert your windows install disk, and load install, then immediately reboot. (Don't install) You should boot directly into Windows again. To boot back, reboot (I think).Hope this helps. --Microphoenix (Macrophoenix)

How'd you install with vmware? I couldn't get my install cd to run. Just wondering.

I have a solution for your problem, but it may take a while. You need to install a version of windows on your pc (if you have one), or otherwise install linux ubuntu. (it will have to delete OS X) You will need an os on that pc to complete the real task. You need to be able to access the disk on which your OS X is installed to add a file called "chain0" and "mach-kernel" to it from your install disk. When this is on the partition, you will be able to use the darwin x86 bootloader to choose to load your disk. You also need to mark your partition as active. I will give you links of places to find out how to do this, and some info too. To dual boot go to www.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=post&do=reply_post&????? (I forgot) (Just use my info) Windows:You need to make a partition in that unpartitioned space first. The easiest way is this:1. Boot into Windows2. open a command prompt3. type: "diskpart" and hit enter4. type: "select disk 0" and hit enter (assuming this is the only hard drive in your machine)5. type: "create partition primary id=af" and hit enter (it should respond after a few seconds that it created the partition)6. type: "exit" and hit enter (this will exit diskpart)7. close the command prompt window8. boot from your OS X install CD and start Disk Utility9. select the new partition (NOT the drive), go to the Erase tab (NOT partition) and erase the partition, formatting it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and give it a name10. Exit Disk Utility and proceed with your install11. Once you've installed and rebooted into windows, go to the partition where you've installed OS X. (You'll need MacDrive 9.0 to do this)12. Copy the file "chain0" from your install dvd to your partition. (Directly, not in a folder) (ex. L:\chain0)13. Right click on your install dvd, and click "view mac files". (You need MacDrive 9)14. Copy "mach_kernel" to your partition from your install dvd. (Directly again)15. Right click on computer from the start menu, and click Manage.16. Go to disk management and right click on your os x partition, and click mark as active.17. Reboot your computer and mac os x should open.Known problems:If it boots and says "HFS+ Partition Error" I don't know what to do.If you want to boot into Windows again, insert your windows install disk, and load install, then immediately reboot. (Don't install) You should boot directly into Windows again. To boot back, reboot (I think).Hope this helps. --Microphoenix (Macrophoenix)

How'd you install with vmware? I couldn't get my install cd to run. Just wondering.

Thanks for the awesome reply ;)

I did all that, and copied the files (I assume to the base directory), and tried booting to it, but it wouldn't work =\

To install on VMware, I used DAEMON to emulate the OSX disc and pointed VMware to use the appropriate Virutal CD Drive

What did you use to Partition/Format the drive? The partition must be a primary, and it must be MBR format. If you used the OS X DVD Disk Utility to do this, MBR is NOT the default. You have to hit the Options button at the bottom of the partition screen. GUID is the default and is for Intel Macs only.

Are you partitioning or just formatting in Disk Utility? If you are just formatting (Erase Partition) then there is no option. If you are Partitioning in Disk Utility, then there is an Options button at the bottom center of the screen. You must choose Master Boot Record here.

The best way to do this is to either (1) when you install Windows, create a 2nd primary partition using Partition Magic or whatever you use to partition the disk, but leave the partition blank/unformatted. Then just Earse this partition using Disk Utility then install

OR

(2) if you are installing OS X alone with no other OS on the machine, then use Disk utility to Partition (choosing Master Boot Record under Options) then installing.

These boot problems are almost always caused by using something to create the OS X partition that does not create it properly. Just create an empty, unformatted primary partition and let Disk Utility do the rest. This has always worked for me, using Partition Magic.