Delicious Library

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone own a copy of Delicious Library? Would anyone recommend it, It looks as if Apple highly rates it because they have awarded it 3 awards over the past few years. The concept behind it is rather cool especially as i have a huge collection of DVD's and CD's. Anyone review it or have any views on it?

Thanks

www.delicious-monster.com

My rundown:

Nice interface, very intuitive, but this software is only useful if you 1. are really anal about your physical video/music/whatever collections, 2. don't trust your friends with stuff you lend them, or 3. aspire to manage a video store out of your house.

Also keep in mind that once you have the digital catalog, you STILL have the physical catalog to deal with. It's not like iTunes where everything gets managed for you once you throw it into the system; basically DL makes two problems out of one.

Is there anyway to funnel or link the data DL gathers to use for a ripped version of the library? The reason I ask is I've got about 40 linear feet of physical DVDs that I intend to rip and put into some sort of digital library on HDD. But I'd like to have the cover art for the disks for looking through the library. I'm hoping to allow my youngest kids access to the library (I'll probably split them into 2 librarys, Adult and Kid) for viewing and they are pre-reading age.

Thanks. I'll look into that....

Ok I tracked down what I could find on V2, suppose to ship at the same time as Leopard (assuming Octoberish). Interesting, it's also suppose to integrate with ITunes, which might work for me. I'm not sure I want to import several hundred DVDs to iTunes, primary concern being degrading IQ of the video. Although maybe it would be OK if I could figure out how to get an ATV to tape into an ITunes database remotely.

Does Itunes allow multiple concurrent access to it's database? Probably not, huh....actually I'm getting a bit off topic here. Time to go find an HTPC forum somewhere.

I've used it and the novelty of it lasted me a few days. Granted I didn't have a huge collection, and probably would've gotten bored fairly quickly due to the tedious task of holding UPC's up to the camera. It was fun though and definitely a good idea to use if you sell or trade DVD's/games/CD's or have a specific out of the way place for them and you want to remember how to get to specific things quickly.

And if you use the app iTunes Library Manager you can have as many iTunes libraries as you'd like.

I confess I'm waiting to see what V 2.0 will be like (I understand there are two versions - standard and "pro")

Especially as there is an upgrade fee if you buy V 1.65 now with just weeks to go before leopard turns up.

I will say that there are more reasons for owning it than being anally retentive.

I collect CD's and have always kept a catalogue and it is a condition of my house insurance that I keep an updated list, supplied to the insurance company at yearly renewal, as it is large enough to be classed as a collection and carries a premium on the insurance. But have the peace of mind that at least what can be replaced is covered by the insurance.

My wife, who collects books, wants an easy way to catalogue those and Delicious Library with it's scanning via iSight seems a great way to do this.

For those readers in the UK this does highlight a cautionary tale.

I am lucky enough to have a large collection of CDs / LPs etc. Large enough to query the coverage with my insurance.

With my insurance company any CDs valued at £1200 or over is a "collection" and is not covered under general house insurance and requires an extra premuim as such (it is only about £49 a year) to cover a collection of some 17,000 discs.

However, think about it, £1200 equalls about 100 - 120 discs. Should you own more than this and be unfortunate to need to claim and are over this, the insurance cover will not pay.

The same goes for DVD's

Dan

And if you use the app iTunes Library Manager you can have as many iTunes libraries as you'd like.

It isn't a matter of how many libraries. It is a matter of can I access the same library on a network drive from multiple machines simultaneously. So say I've got my library of about 800 DVDs (just an offhand guess, I'd have to ask my wife as she's the one that tracks that stuff for insurance) on a couple of TB RAID drives on my PC and playing a movie from that library on a, for example, ATV in the den off the kitchen on the main floor plus playing another movie (or the same movie?) using a Mini in an upstairs bedroom. Doable?