Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Users...

Cubric

11 posts in this topic

I've been trying to work the Ubuntu on my MBP for a few days now and most of them just couldnt work properly. i cant enable the desktop effects. it just gives a white screen for a few sceonds then back to the main screen with the desktop effect still disabled. and also ive been trying to find out on whether my gfx card is working through the ubuntu terminal and it doesnt work and also other stuff. im using Ubuntu on Parallels. my MBP is the 2.2hz with GeForce Gfx. You guys ever experienced this?

• 1 month later...

id recommend kubuntu, which is ubuntu with the kde destop built-in. it soooooo easy! ;)

and its purrrfect for those with a windoze backround, because the buttons and menus and general

gui interface is very ummmmmmm..... windoze-like.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu often have issues due to some incompatibilities with guid and efi. A much better distro is simplyMepis, the chief developer works on a mc pro so it's designed from ground up to be intel mac friendly. It comes with an osX app that helps set up your system pre install, a la boot camp assistant. I heartily recommend it after a number of macbook set ups.

Dont forget Gnome has like a bizillian more apps made for it also smile.gif

Well put even thought my favorite app is ktorrent which is primarily made for KDE, it is also useable in Gnome.

actually the smoothest ubuntu is xubuntu, based on the X system, and works like gnome. i have that with compiz working on my compaq laptop, great O/S. kubuntu is very bloated with stuff that noone ever uses lol. plus its not as intuitive as the gnome configuration.

actually the smoothest ubuntu is xubuntu, based on the X system, and works like gnome. i have that with compiz working on my compaq laptop, great O/S. kubuntu is very bloated with stuff that noone ever uses lol. plus its not as intuitive as the gnome configuration.

I actually like Xubuntu as much as gnome, but there is just something about the gnome interface that gets me hooked. I use Xubuntu on my lowend toys, usually computers with less than 256mb of ram.

• 4 weeks later...