Download speed differenes in XP & Vista

Chris935

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed faster download speeds with Vista? I have clean installs of Vista & XP on my comptuer and Vista gets a much higher score on testmy.net. I was averaging about 1400Kb/s with Vista and only about 350Kb/s with XP.

i know that xp have some "hidden thing" in system,which slows down internet connection for about 10~20%.

maybe it`s because...

~R

R2K. is right...there is a setting (can't nail it), that actually slows down your connection speed. I think I read it somewhere in trying to setup port forwarding properly for..ahem..you know what..but the article did say that I had to manually adjust a registry string to increase the bandwidth.

Windows reserves 20% of your bandwidth by default, you can change it though by:

Click Start / Run

Type: gpedit.msc

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Network / QOS Packet Scheduler / Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the ‘Explain’ tab:

“By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.”

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

I don't know if Vista does the same thing, someone want to try it?

Windows reserves 20% of your bandwidth by default, you can change it though by:

Click Start / Run

Type: gpedit.msc

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Network / QOS Packet Scheduler / Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the ‘Explain’ tab:

“By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.”

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

I don't know if Vista does the same thing, someone want to try it?

Wow. Never knew that, thanks!

Always sweet to know that I can get even more out of the now "old" OS.