Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Compability

36 posts in this topic

Hi, i got to choose between 2 boards for running a stable OS x86 :

The Intel Bad Axe 2 of the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R... I will put a Q6600 on it for the comming months/year... So:

I heard that the Intel one is the most stable and compatible...very well, but i don't like it that it doesn't support the upcomming Peryn processor because i might want to upgrade after a year or someting...The Gigabyte board supports Peryn (P35 Chipset and supports 1333Mhz FSB) but i don't know much about the stability.Also the Gigabyte board got 2 DDR3 slots and 4 DDR2 slots if later i want to upgrade to DDR3 (with later maybe 1-2 years)...

So: wich things work with the Gigabyte board? Wich out the box? And how stable is it?? I will want to work with Adobe software and things like Final Cut Studio 2 Pro...So most editing..but also other stuff...I really don't want an unstable system. So could you guys please tell me how stable this board is?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry if my English isn't so good, im 14 years old and Romanian...

Thx for the answer! Can you or other people tell me specific details about compability then?

-Does SATA works 100% with no slowered speeds?

-Problems with Western Digital drives?

-SATA/PATA DVD drives works without a convertor or something?

-Sound works? With patching of out of the box?

-Ethernet works? Patching Needed?...

-Stability? Crashes in some software? I want to use Adobe software, Final Cut and much more without crashes...

-Other small issues that i got to know about them?

Btw please be sure to answer about the GA-P35C-DS3R and not other models that seems to be the same, this is the one with 2 extra DDR3 slots!

I want to fill the 4 DDR2 slots atm, but after a year to use the DDR3 too (Is it possible to use the DDR2 and DDR3 slots at the same time??)

Is DDR3 compatible with Hackintosh?

I would appreciate concrete answers :D ...Thx hackintom!

BUMP... i have the feeling that nobody wanna help me :rolleyes: Please don't say: There are so much other topics about it...Really: NO post say the compability difference between DS3P and DS3R... I woul really appreaciate help...and i will even appreciate it more if you can answer all my answers and don't skip one..

Please help this 14 year old kid :P :P

Hi,

I've been searching the forum for a while to find out what hardware would most likely work with osX86, and my final choice is the Gigabyte P35 DS3P.

This mobo is cheap (133€ here), performance is okay (good overclocking), and osx86 seems to work well on it (requires patches for audio and lan, no big deal).

I don't really care about DDR3, since 2Gb high end DDRII are like 100€ here, and penrynn cpus work with it.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT : and by the way, i'm not totally sure, but i think you can't use DDR2 and 3 at the same time. this assumption is only based on my DDR/DDR2 experience (i had an hybrid motherboard which accepted both, but it did not work at the same time)

Thx Onizuka!! That was finally a good answer on my question :P I know that DDR3 is not such a big deal, but very strange: here the GA-P35-DS3P is 20 euro more expensive than the GA-P35-DS3R, that's whyi was asking, i mean : Why not for 20 euro cheaper something better?

But i just wanted to know if 2 mobo's are 100% the same instead of the 2 extra DDR3 slots... So everything will work on the R model 100% the same good as on the P model? Or are there any small differences you think?

Thanks really much!

PS: What is the difference between the P35C-DS3R and the P35-DS3R? Im getting a bit confused :P

[EDIT] Ok i googled: the C model got 2 Extra DDR3 slots... But then i don't get the difference between the DS3R and the DS3P :s I would really like to know the difference..

Check this out :

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/CPU-...et_774476_1.htm

In the middle of the page there is a comparative chart of all Gigabyte P35 mobos. In fact, the P model has two PCI-E x16 ports, enabling AMD Crossfire, whereas the R model has only one, no Crossfire, but an extra PCI slot. Besides, P model has Firewire and e-SATA.

If you look at the pictures you can also notice that the P model has a bigger Northbridge radiator.

All in all, you can choose the R model if you don't care about Firewire and e-SATA. Crossfire won't be really useful for an OSX86 machine, you know why...

Thx Onizuka... Finally what i wanted to hear :( I know that AMD Crossfire won't work on Mac OS x86, but i guess that i can use an nVidia GFX card on a board that supports AMD Crossfire(a single nVidia card)?

Hehe finally i know all the diferences :)

I don't care about firewire and eSATA so i will choose a GA-P35C-DS3R with 2 extra DDR3 slots for over a year when DDR3 gets cheaper! It's only 10 euro more expensive then the one without the extra DDR3 slots...

Also i like the PCI slot more than the P model...

Thx again Oni

PS: Do you speak French? I got luck that i understand and speak a little French and i can read the article :)

Yeah, in fact I happen to be French :(

You may have your reasons for choosing the card with DDR3 slots, but as an advice I can tell you that I don't trust these sort of hybrid cards... Trying to comply with two different technologies at the same time often gives poor performance and altered features. Think about it, if it's impossible to run DDR2 and DDR3 at the same time, which is highly probable, you'll only have two DDR3 slots to do with when you buy your DDR3...

I would choose to buy a fully equipped DDR2 card, and to change when DDR3 becomes more popular (and when chipsets fully use DDR3 advantages, which are arguably profitable right now...).

This is only a personal opinion and I hope I was not too rude with DDR3 and hybrid cards :)

EDIT: and yes indeed, you can use a single nVidia card on a mobo that supports Crossfire, as well as you can use a single AMD/ATI card on a board supporting SLI.

Thx Onizuka! Really thanks! Then i guess that i will go for the GA-P35-DS3R , because the extra PCI slot can be useful.. :P Or who knows, maybe later i will use the firewire... So you say that the northbridge of the P model is better cooled than the R model? What do you say about putting a huge Tuniq Tower 2 heatsink and cooler on that mobo? I guess that i will trust it? It weights almost 800 gram.. I want to overclock the Q6600 processor (G0 stepping) to 3.6Ghz stable.. xD

Firewire might not really be useful, but e-SATA surely is! If one day you need an external HDD, you'll see there are many e-SATA models at affordable price, and performance is amazingly better than USB 2.0!

On the pics you can see that the northbridge heatsink of the DS3P is a bit bulkier than on the DS3R. Whatever CPU heatsink you use, your northbridge will be better cooled with a bigger heatsink. This is not negligeable when you overclock, since the chipset can also heat up... The tuniq tower is a very big CPU heatsink, I think you should look at the mobo compatibility list of Tuniq website, if it exists. I was considering buying a Noctua NU12F (not sure about the name) and on Noctua website they say the heatsink can only be placed horizontally on the DS3P, otherwise it won't fit!

;) No one ever thanked me as much as you did!

You can wait for X38 boards if you want to, if it brings extra features you think you need. I can't really give you advice about it, it depends on what you think is most important : having the latest hardware in a few months, or having stable hardware that surely works with OS X right now ;)

Nope, it's not for having the latest hardware (lol i saved 3 years for money to finally afford all this..) But do you think that the X38 will give an overall speed boost? Or very GREAT features? The ONLY thing that i will upgrade will be my GFX card in a few months (i want to get a 7300GT now) and if till end januari for my birthday ill ask a good GFX card for my B-day...

Yes i really like to thank you because ur the only that actually want to help me out very good ;) THANKS!

I appreciate ;) Unfortunately, I haven't read much about X38 chips, and really know little about it. So this time I don't think I can help you much...

Besides, I think it's a good choice to wait for new GFX cards to upgrade, I'll do the same. Current nVidia cards are about one year old, and unsupported by OS X, and ATI/AMD cards are not really... interesting

Indeed, i will wait for the next generation of GFX cards, but there are still 5 months to go till my birthday, so atm i will be satisfied with a 7300GT...Why are ATI/AMD not really interesting? ;) I was too always a nVidia fan, but the X1950XT 256MB is fully compatible with OS X and maybe it isn't a bad option in 5 months when they get cheaper i guess...I will game, but not hardcore ;) (on my Windows partition) The rest i do Photoshop, i want to learn 3D modeling and Final Cut Studio 2 Pro...

Qu'est-ce que vous pensez de la X1950XT? :P

Nice try with French :D

Sorry for not making that clear, I was talking about "new generation" GFX cards, that means GeForce 8 series and ATI 2k series. I definitely wouldn't buy a non directX 10 card from now on, except maybe a cheap 7300GT for my HTPC.

The X1950XT may be okay, I guess it overtops my 7900GS, which is already a great card to play with.

It's sad to say, but Microsoft decides what hardware we should buy. They made all directX 9 cards obsolete by making them incompatible with directX 10, and so will they do with 10.1 in a few months. You can decide to ignore it and to keep playing directX 9 games. However, Apple decided to include directX 10 cards in their new hardware (in the MacBook Pro and in the iMac). Right now I don't know if DirectX 10 games on the PC will be ported to the Mac. There's big chance they won't, but with Steve's recent announcements about EA Games and Apple, I am trully confused...

This is why I'm going to wait, stick with my current card until things become clearer. I hope Microsoft will stop redifining hardware standards every half year, and I hope efforts will be made to have good games on the Mac.

All this is a little bit out of the topic though, there might be a section about that somewhere, with people who really know what they're talking about :lol:

• 1 month later...

I have mainboard: GA-P35C-DS3R, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2GB DDRII 800, WD5000AAKS, DVD GSA-LG 4163B, nvidia 8500.

Installed OSX 10.4.6 directly to HD using vmware and sucessfully booted natively.

Installed RealtekR1000 from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29436&st=0&gopid=203604entry203604)

- got working LAN.

I tried AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip from: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;&do=findComment&comment=259784 .

Did not helped me.

I tried also alc889a.zip from: http://rapidshare.com/files/51585161/alc889a.zip.html (using this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=&do=findComment&comment=457698)

- OS did not booted - some bug was reported by OS.

My bios version is: F4i.

And I have Azalia codec enabled in setup.

I have mainboard: GA-P35C-DS3R, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2GB DDRII 800, WD5000AAKS, DVD GSA-LG 4163B, nvidia 8500.

Installed OSX 10.4.6 directly to HD using vmware and sucessfully booted natively.

Installed RealtekR1000 from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29436&st=0&gopid=203604entry203604)

- got working LAN.

I tried AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip from: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;&do=findComment&comment=259784 .

Did not helped me.

I tried also alc889a.zip from: http://rapidshare.com/files/51585161/alc889a.zip.html (using this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=&do=findComment&comment=457698)

- OS did not booted - some bug was reported by OS.

My bios version is: F4i.

And I have Azalia codec enabled in setup.

Maybe you should try some newer version, 10.4.8 is fine here...

• 3 weeks later...

PAVN

I have:

GA-P35C-DS3R

2 500GB Samsung HDs

4 GB DDR2

Intel Core 2 Duo 6750

SATA Sony Optiarc DVD Drive

So far the furthest i've reached is a blank blue screen, looks like login without the window. That's using uphuck v1.4.i. Maybe we can help each other out.

Thanks,

Lightbraker