MacBook Pro fan speed not controlled by temperature?

5 posts in this topic

I have a first generation Core Duo MacBook Pro

I'm starting to suspect that the macbook pro fan speed as controlled by the smc is actually not related to the cores' or any other part's temperature.

What I observe is a very inconsistent trend if I compare temperature with fan speed.

My hypothesis now is that the smc actually sets the fan speed according to cpu usage. I notice that the fans seem to miraculously run faster when I'm compiling a program or when Opera runs into some heavy routine of JavaScript.

When the CPU usage is low, the MBP can be sitting there at 65 degrees Celcius (or 149 Fahrenheit) and the smc would leave the fans at 1000 rpm.

Is anybody else seeing the same trend?

I have a first generation Core Duo MacBook Pro

I'm starting to suspect that the macbook pro fan speed as controlled by the smc is actually not related to the cores' or any other part's temperature.

What I observe is a very inconsistent trend if I compare temperature with fan speed.

My hypothesis now is that the smc actually sets the fan speed according to cpu usage. I notice that the fans seem to miraculously run faster when I'm compiling a program or when Opera runs into some heavy routine of JavaScript.

When the CPU usage is low, the MBP can be sitting there at 65 degrees Celcius (or 149 Fahrenheit) and the smc would leave the fans at 1000 rpm.

Is anybody else seeing the same trend?

they cant get lower than 1000 :P

Exactly. 65 degrees is not a temperature at which you can comfortably put the MBP on your lap, yet the smc leaves it like that and lets the fans run at the lowest speed.

if u set the fan speed at 2000 and u quit smc, the fans will stay at 2000. and if your computer thinks it should be above 2000, Mac OS X will take over :)