9A499 install on C2D MBP doesn't boot...

exscape

9 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. I doubt anyone recognizes me, since it's about I year I spent time here last time (using OSX86 ;)).

Anyway. I downloaded the 9A499 image (leopard_client_9a499.dmg, MD5: 4e9649c086def4ae2a6b523e0293a5d5) from pythons-lair, and went through a bunch of steps to make it fit on a regular DVD-R, the usual create 8GB sparseimage, restore, delete XCodeTools + printer drivers, create 4.7GB sparseimage, burn using disk utility).

The DVD boots OK, but it gets stuck at the pinwheel. I don't know how long I let it "load" before giving up, but it was at LEAST 30 minutes (most likely more than an hour). The DVD spins down after a few minutes and most, but the fans are on full power all the time.

I don't have a DL DVD to burn on, I don't have any external harddrive (iPods included).

Any advice on what to do next, besides giving up? :/

But if I do that, I'll end up with two partitions: One with my current data, and one with the Leopard install... But I'm guessing I can't install TO the new partition as well?

I'll have nowhere to install to. :/

Wait, so you want to keep your tiger install and also install Leopard?

Then make the new ("Bootcamp") partition 30gb or so. Then you can use Disk utility to partition it into two smaller partitions, one being 12gb or so and the other 18gb. Restore the image to the 12gb one and install on the 18gb. Make sure you set it up with a GUID partition table or whatever, the install will tell you how if you it doesn't automatically.

Are you sure you've followed it correctly? It does take at least 20 minutes to boot from, but it works. Also I locked the image before I burned it to DVD. I've done that with 9a466 and it worked. If this does work, at the installer, choose a custom install and uncheck everything, just the core elements else you get an error.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

How to install Leopard with only single layer DVD media

OK, I have just created a bootable copy of the Leopard install DVD using the following method:

1. Open the Leopard installation DVD using Disk Utility.

2. Using the Disk Utility, create a new dual layer (8.5GB) sparse image called leopard (actual filename will be leopard.sparseimage) and mount it.

3. Restore the Leopard installation DVD to the mounted leopard.sparseimage (not the image file.)

4. Open the mounted leopard.sparseimage with Finder, and delete the XCodeTools directory.

5. Unmount the mounted leopard.sparseimage.

6. Using the Disk Utility, create a new single layer (4.4GB) spare image called boot (actual filename will be boot.sparseimage) and mount it.

7. Restore the leopard.sparseimage image file to the mounted boot.sparseimage (not the image file.)

8. Unmount the mounted boot.sparseimage.

9. Burn the boot.sparseimage to your single layer DVD media.

Booting from this DVD works, but takes a long time.

Yup, I did that (several times), they all booted fine but nothing happened. I'm sure I let one of them boot for MORE than an hour, so.

In any case, I did some diskutil magic (command line) and restored the image to a new partition - it booted amazingly fast and the install is almost complete! :D

UNIX knowledge pays off once again!

... Uhm, not that diskutil exists on Linux/*BSD but I'm used to the commandline, which helps. :)

If you are currently running 9A466, you can use disk utility to easily (non-destructively) resize your partition and add a new one (about 8GB). Restore the image onto that partition, then install.

Once you're booted into 9a499, you will be able to delete the 8gb install partition, and extend your main one into its free space.