couple of quick questions

GingerPrince

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've just installed uphuck 1.4i r2 on the machine in my sig. It went on very easily. I had to patch a few kexts to get onboard LAN, jmicron and stereo sound.

Things are generally fine but I have a couple of questions:

1. How stable are hackintoshes? Can you run it as your main machine (I want to)? The only error I've had so far is when I ran geekbench. At the end of the bench, it just dissappeared. When I tried to bring up the activity monitor, my machine went to sleep, it doesn't wake up and so I had to reset. The second time I ran, it worked fine. Just a glitch or something more serious?

2. What do people tend to do with regards to filling in the information on boot up after install? name, address etc? Basically lie?

Ultimately, if I can get reasonable answers to these questions I would like to use OSX as my main machine and that means a lot of photography processing. Do people generally think that a hackintosh is good enough for that?

thanks!

Matt

Hi guys,

I've just installed uphuck 1.4i r2 on the machine in my sig. It went on very easily. I had to patch a few kexts to get onboard LAN, jmicron and stereo sound.

Things are generally fine but I have a couple of questions:

1. How stable are hackintoshes? Can you run it as your main machine (I want to)? The only error I've had so far is when I ran geekbench. At the end of the bench, it just dissappeared. When I tried to bring up the activity monitor, my machine went to sleep, it doesn't wake up and so I had to reset. The second time I ran, it worked fine. Just a glitch or something more serious?

2. What do people tend to do with regards to filling in the information on boot up after install? name, address etc? Basically lie?

Ultimately, if I can get reasonable answers to these questions I would like to use OSX as my main machine and that means a lot of photography processing. Do people generally think that a hackintosh is good enough for that?

thanks!

Matt

Hi!, I can tell you that my hackintosh runs smoothly without problems or errors (except the damn sound card)

When it comes to filling in your name, just push command-q to skip it!

Hackintoshes are stable, once you get them running. Mine has proved more stable than windows! They're fine for doing work on etc.

When it comes to filling in your name, just push command-q to skip it!

Hackintoshes are stable, once you get them running. Mine has proved more stable than windows! They're fine for doing work on etc.

and I forgot to mention that is my main and unique system

hope this helps!

PD: my overclocked PC has more performance than an iMac, even than a Macpro

I realise he (uphuck) stripped out the PPC stuff but given my machine, I though it was pretty close to real mac hardware. How experimental are they johnnie? I mean, I can't actually find much about what he's put in/out etc. I can't even seem to find out what kernel it is. Is there a readme or something?

ddrdark - what sort of xbench/geekbench score do you get? I see you've OC'd your CPU by a fair chunk. That's pretty good to see that you're still stable, even with all the OC'ing.

Synaesthesia - Re the detail filling, I just put rubbish in there but I wondered if it really mattered anyway? I mean, even if it sends it back to apple, so what? I use iTunes and I sign in with my apple ID which obviously has my billing info.