E6300 Overclocking

hazkid

6 posts in this topic

I recently built a computer using an E6300 and Asus motherboard. Unfortunately (or fortunately, from my POV), the motherboard and CPU were fried in an "Electricity Flicker". Intel is sending a replacement 6300, but Asus actually refunded the motherboard. I'd like to overclock my E6300 (because people are saying that it works well) but I need some advice on which motherboard to get. The Asus board I had allowed virtually no overclocking and had what looked like a medieval BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: Don't you love parentheses?)

The Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 is a good choice, and can be made 100% compatible (sata dvd-burner helps) as is the asus p5-b. If you wanna spend more, the P5K!

There are m-atx g33 based boards that overclock very nicely now, such as the gigabyte G33M-D2SR, and asus make one too. But stay away from 945 based boards!

Thanks!

It's interesting that you recommended the P5B/X, because I used the Asus P5-L.

The P5B seems like a nice option, but unfortunately it has only one IDE port, and I have two IDE drives. I suppose I can live with one.

Also: is there anything in the Overclocking process that differs with this motherboard than in the "usual" online instructions?

Thanks a lot (again). I'll be comparing the different recommendations to see which is the best for me. when i have time.