ASUS P5K-E/Uphuck1.4i Works

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while working out what to buy/how to install Mac OS. I took the plunge over the weekend and this is what I bought:

RAM : 2Gb Geil Ultra Low Latency 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 RAM

CPU : Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB

MOBO: Asus Motherboard P5K-E/WIFI-AP Intel P35

GFX : Sparkle GF 7600GT 256Mb DDR3

HD1 : 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB cache

HD2 : 500GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16Mb cache

MON: Dell 2007WFP

CASE: Antec P150

I already had LG-GSA-4167B DVD writer that I stuck an IDE-SATA converter on.

I partitioned my 250Gb disk 4 ways, 3 50Gb partitions for different OSs and a 100Gb partition for data. The 500 Gb disk is all data. The mobo bios needed updating so that it recognised the CPU.

I formatted one of the 50Gb partitions as FAT32 and marked it active. Booted the machine with the uphuck 1.4i DVD, converted the FAT32 partition to HFS, selected a couple of patches (the only one I think I needed was the Natit 0.2) and MacOS went straight on. Rebooted and used the F8 bios option to select which disk to boot from. Darwin came up and I selected MacOS and away it went. Booted up fine (even had the correct resolution for my monitor (1680x1050)) and logged me in and I found that networking and sound weren't working but I expected that. I used asap18 (thanks!) script to get them going. Rebooted and it all seems to work fine. The only problem I've found so far is that I can't 'Wake from sleep'.

big thanks to everybody on here that has posted their info in the past, it's been extremely useful.

I've got a couple of questions but I think there probably better off in the Post Installation forum.

A do have a couple of questions:

1. the fonts don't seem to be quite as smooth as other peoples screenshots. any ideas why that might be? I've tried altering the font smoothing setting but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

2. I've changed some other prefs such as swapping ctrl/command keys and they work while I'm logged in but as soon as I reboot, I lose that setting.

any ideas?

cheers,

Matt

Congrats on your nice setup!

1. the fonts don't seem to be quite as smooth as other peoples screenshots. any ideas why that might be? I've tried altering the font smoothing setting but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

This could be because you have an LCD screen. They look much sharper and less smooth than a crt screen, which then looks blurry by comparison. I've noticed it on the iMacs. You get used to it, though.

Mac OS X also uses different font smoothing technology than windows. It's a long story, but,

Here is a good explanation

btw, I benched it and got this : xbench 163.7 geekbench: 3781

is that good or not?

That's a pretty damn fast geekbench. Faster than any of the iMacs! You have no need to worry.

thanks for the reply Synaesthesia.

I had read that article and a couple of others. I should have said, I've been using the monitor with XP for a while so I know that LCDs are not quite as smooth as CRTs. However, OSX looks a lot worse than XP and that is something I didn't expect, even having read the articles. I've been into the local mac store and looked at the macbook pros's and the iMacs and the fonts on there look a lot better than mine. I'm at a loss to explain it.

Looking at the other scores on the website, I got the impression that it was a reasonable score.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chuck, make sure u go to sys prefs, and it shud ask u to enable it. Otherwise u might be using the other lan which afaik my script doesnt fix. also, TO ALL P5K-* users or even ICH9R users, r3 IS BAD for p35, uphuck mustve removed the driver somewhere. unless you know how to edit isos and make kextcaches, stay away. 1.2 is best from my experience although i did get r3 to work ;).

Chuck, make sure u go to sys prefs, and it shud ask u to enable it. Otherwise u might be using the other lan which afaik my script doesnt fix. also, TO ALL P5K-* users or even ICH9R users, r3 IS BAD for p35, uphuck mustve removed the driver somewhere. unless you know how to edit isos and make kextcaches, stay away. 1.2 is best from my experience although i did get r3 to work :).

Well you are right, r2 works far better. Now if I can only get my LAN to work. I have 3 types of lan on the board, Marvell Yukon, Realtek and another realtek wireless with people saying they work. In addition I had it all working on another upgraded 10.4.8 load, however I wanted to try this uphuck. Ohh well the price you pay for wanting bleeding edge. Thanks for everyones help.

Was thinking of building a similar setup, the script that you linked, does it fix both sound in/out? Regarding the font smoothing problem, is this something that has to do with the graphics card or the motherboard?

I want as fully compatible computer as possible, maybe it's better to go with bad axe 2 or what do you p5k* users think?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can download Asap18s Bash script for the Asus P5K-E motherboard to get sound and the network working?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while working out what to buy/how to install Mac OS. I took the plunge over the weekend and this is what I bought:

RAM : 2Gb Geil Ultra Low Latency 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 RAM

CPU : Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB

MOBO: Asus Motherboard P5K-E/WIFI-AP Intel P35

GFX : Sparkle GF 7600GT 256Mb DDR3

HD1 : 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB cache

HD2 : 500GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16Mb cache

MON: Dell 2007WFP

CASE: Antec P150

I already had LG-GSA-4167B DVD writer that I stuck an IDE-SATA converter on.

I partitioned my 250Gb disk 4 ways, 3 50Gb partitions for different OSs and a 100Gb partition for data. The 500 Gb disk is all data. The mobo bios needed updating so that it recognised the CPU.

I formatted one of the 50Gb partitions as FAT32 and marked it active. Booted the machine with the uphuck 1.4i DVD, converted the FAT32 partition to HFS, selected a couple of patches (the only one I think I needed was the Natit 0.2) and MacOS went straight on. Rebooted and used the F8 bios option to select which disk to boot from. Darwin came up and I selected MacOS and away it went. Booted up fine (even had the correct resolution for my monitor (1680x1050)) and logged me in and I found that networking and sound weren't working but I expected that. I used asap18 (thanks!) script to get them going. Rebooted and it all seems to work fine. The only problem I've found so far is that I can't 'Wake from sleep'.

big thanks to everybody on here that has posted their info in the past, it's been extremely useful.

I've got a couple of questions but I think there probably better off in the Post Installation forum.

A do have a couple of questions:

2. I've changed some other prefs such as swapping ctrl/command keys and they work while I'm logged in but as soon as I reboot, I lose that setting.

any ideas?

cheers,

Matt