My fist real Mac, and it was free

6 posts in this topic

I have been running Mac on a bunch of differant Dell PCs for some time with great success. I was over at my college the other day and they were throwing out a bunch of junk, in that junk was a orange iMac with mouse and keyboard. I pulled the iMac out of skid of stuff and plugged it in and it booted to Mac OS 9.2 then froze. I still took the iMac home with me. I took the iMac apart blew out all the dust and dirt, added the old memory from a Dell laptop I upgraded. Downloaded OS/X 10.1 and about 45 minutes later ended up with a perfectly good working iMac. The thing works so good I ordered more memory off ebay for it. and I am also leaving this post using the tiny orange machine.

I believe if funds allow I will be buying a newer intel powered iMac or something else at a affordable price (no Mac Mini though, to slow) and I will pass this little gem along to another Mac Curious person.

I know the iMac I have might seem like a crappy little machine but it is what I needed to make the the right choice of my next computer purchase.First I hooked the iMac up, then hooked it to my broardband connection, then I loaded a newer OS than what came with the system very easy, typed in some bogus personal info. and the Mac did the rest. what I ended up with is a very usable vintage machine that is easy to use, stable and free.

sorry to ramble so long.

i've always wanted to find some school or buisness throwing out perfectly good computers... - i've been hoping with buisnesses making the move to vista they would throw out all they're old comps...i've always wanted to find some school or buisness throwing out perfectly good computers... - i've been hoping with buisnesses making the move to vista they would throw out all they're old comps...

Very cool. I guess *technically* my first real Mac was also free. It was given to me by one of my teachers, but it was an old Mac Classic SE. This was back in 1997 so a long time back, but even then that machine was HORRIBLY outdated and I never really used it aside from playing around a bit.

My first "real real" Mac :thumbsup_anim: was/is PowerMac G4 GE (2x500, 256mb ram, 40g hd). I got that one at a pawn shop for $125. Used to be a college lab machine from what I can tell (still has Office as well as almost every other Adobe and Macromedia product installed on it from when it served that purpose :D). I upgraded it's RAM and popped in a new video card, but I liked the OS a lot so before I went too far with upgrading the lil guy I decided to build a hackintosh instead. Costed less than upgrading the PowerMac (and definately less than buying a new mac), and I'm having a blast with it. I used to use Windows for general use and Linux for when I'd fee like programming or messing around in a Unix environment, but OS X kinda takes care of both those needs. Just takes a while to get it tweaked to my liking (damn Home and End key behavior drove me crazy until I got it working right :)).