NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Help

24 posts in this topic

Greetings!

I have a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6200 256mb AGP card, and it took me quite awhile to get it working how I wanted it to work in 10.4.8. The 6200 is a great budget card -- I got mine for under $100-- and can actually perform satisfactorily in OSX. If you are looking to buy an affordable graphics card for your homebrew Mac, I would certainly recommend this little guy.

So, I thought I'd start this forum for anyone else who has this card and would like to discuss its setup. If you have a card other than the 6200, please kindly post somewhere else.

Right now, my card setup is as follows:

-JaS 10.4.8 SSe2/SSe3 Intel/AMD install dvd

-Full Quartz 2D Extreme, Quartz Extreme, and Core Image using Titan and Natit

-Dual Monitor Support using Natit Dual 0.2

-Resolutions on both monitors of 1024x768x32 @60Hz (they're small 15" monitors); One is DVI, one is VGA and they perform comparably.

-Card NOT recognized as AGP Bus... I'll get to that in a minute.

My next post will be a step-by-step card setup for newbs. Feel free to jump in!

GeForce 6200 Setup:

Note: I would STRONGLY recommend installing OSX on a main partition AND a small "test" partition (approx. 6GB). That way, you can mess with video settings and drivers (.kext files) on your test partition so they don't blue-screen your real one!

Part 1: OSX Installation

I used the JaS 10.4.8 SSe2/SSe3 Intel/AMD installation DVD. During the installation, there is an optional package that includes Titan/Natit NVIDIA support-- DO NOT CHECK THIS OPTION! If you do, you won't be able to get through OSX's registration prompts because the screen is mostly blacked out. Instead, just install the Intel support package, any sound support you think will work, etc. Restart and go through the registration prompts, minus the internet connection.

Part 2: Titan and Natit

After your basic installation, you'll notice in the System Profiler that Quartz Extreme and Core Image are not supported. Additionally, OSX doesn't recognize your graphics card device ID. Depending on the type of graphics support you need, you can install one or both of the following packages (I recommend downloading the most recent installation package... do a Google search or check the OSx86Project.org forums for links):

Titan: This is more or less necessary if you want QE and CI. Titan provides the best OpenGL support for the 6200, and will allow your card to support QE and CI. However, if your card is installed in your AGP bus, OSX will NOT recognize it as such.

Natit or Natit Dual 0.2: If you want dual monitor support, you can install Natit Dual along with Titan. If you don't need dual monitor support, I would just stick with Titan alone. If you install Natit by itself, without Titan, choosing "About This Mac" from the Finder menu will crash your system. Installing Titan fixed this for me.

Part 2.1: AGPGart.kext

If you have an AGP card, you will have noticed by now that OSX only recognizes your card as a PCI bus. Installing AGPGart 2.1 (I had no luck with 2.2) can fix this problem, but it WILL NOT WORK WITH NATIT installed, and I haven't had any luck with Titan either (it bluescreened after boot). UPDATE: Only AGPGart 1.1 and 1.2 work for Intel Chipsets. Use 2.1 or 2.2 for AMD Chipsets ONLY. It still doesn't work with Natit. AGPGart.kext may allow OSX to recognize your card as AGP, but it also may disable QE and CI.

I have been told that this is how it works (thank you riws):The AGP support instructions for Intel chipsets simply don't work; that is, OSX can't handle AGP properly on Intel Chipsets. Installing AGPGart 1.2 may allow OSX to recognize your card as AGP, but it will still perform at PCI benchmark speeds because of these "broken" AGP chipset instructions.

If you give AGPGart a try, post and let me know the results. Check this forum for help:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry411421

If OSX won't load after you add AGPGart.kext to your Extensions folder, boot to test partition and delete the .kext file from your main partition. If you don't have a test partition, MAKE ONE-- or, you can boot to your installation dvd and delete the .kext in the Terminal App:

sudo su

**Type password when prompted**

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

rm -R AGPGart.kext

cd /System/Library/

rm -R Extensions.kextcache Extensions.mkext

sudo reboot

Part 3: Quartz 2D Extreme

Because OSX has trouble with AGP cards (and even if you don't have an AGP card, you will benefit from this step as well), we can take a couple more steps to ensure that our graphics card is being used to its full potential (well, at least as far as OSX is concerned...).

Enable Quartz 2D Extreme: First, download the QuartzSimple application (search the usual places). Drag the Quartz Debug application to your Apps folder and run it. Enable Quartz 2D Extreme from the Tools menu.

Disable Beam Sync: Next, go to Tools-->Show BeamSync Tools-->Disable Beam Syncronization.

Keep Q2DE enabled across reboots: For some reason, quitting the Quartz Debugger disables Quartz 2D Extreme. So, we need to enable it across reboots by force quitting the application. To do this, hit and hold Apple ("Windows" key on a PC keyboard) + ALT + ESC. A menu will pop up showing your currently-running applications. Click on Quartz Debug and hit Force Quit.

Keep Beam Sync disabled across reboots: Open Terminal. Type in

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

To re-enable beamsync:

** Change the "0" to "1" **

***Thanks to CrazyPigeon for help on this part. CrazyPigeon's forum detailing Q2DE and BeamSync can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t11550.html

That's all for now. Thanks to anyone who helped me figure this all out so far, including the aforementioned riws, tha_toadman, and CrazyPigeon.

Post with your experiences!

I am having some troubles as well with my 6200 TC. If I use Titan I can get a decent resolution out of it but no QE support is detected. Though I do have one install that did detect QE support...I may resurrect that to see the difference.

I can install Titan with no problems but Natit causes problems. When I reboot after the install all I get is a black screen after the initial boot screens. I have to then go into single user mode and delete the natit kext folder and I'm back in business. Unfortunatly this doesn't fix my problems.

My actual problem is that iMovie doesn't work with the video card without the QE (at least that is my understanding). So, hopefully fixing these issues with the installation of Natit will fix my iMovie problems (hoping against hope). OTherwise I might just have to get a more supported card...

I'm going to hit the forum to search on troubleshooting my Natit problems but any advise is appreciated.

I am having some troubles as well with my 6200 TC. If I use Titan I can get a decent resolution out of it but no QE support is detected. Though I do have one install that did detect QE support...I may resurrect that to see the difference.

I can install Titan with no problems but Natit causes problems. When I reboot after the install all I get is a black screen after the initial boot screens. I have to then go into single user mode and delete the natit kext folder and I'm back in business. Unfortunatly this doesn't fix my problems.

My actual problem is that iMovie doesn't work with the video card without the QE (at least that is my understanding). So, hopefully fixing these issues with the installation of Natit will fix my iMovie problems (hoping against hope). OTherwise I might just have to get a more supported card...

I'm going to hit the forum to search on troubleshooting my Natit problems but any advise is appreciated.

I'm not sure that the 6200 TC has enough video memory-- 64mb, right?-- to handle QE or for that matter iMovie... Apple says that only 16mb of dedicated video memory is required for QE, but you may need more.

I would suggest a 256mb card; you can get the 6200 for less than a hundo. I would stick to nVidia cards-- people seem to have mouse tearing problems with ATI. I sure did, and that's why I went nVidia.

You may want to try installing Natit by itself-- not Natit Dual, but the regular Natit installer. Some people have had more luck with that.

I'm sorry I can't be much help :-/

Greetings!

I have a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6200 256mb AGP card, and it took me quite awhile to get it working how I wanted it to work in 10.4.8. The 6200 is a great budget card -- I got mine for under $100-- and can actually perform satisfactorily in OSX. If you are looking to buy an affordable graphics card for your homebrew Mac, I would certainly recommend this little guy.

So, I thought I'd start this forum for anyone else who has this card and would like to discuss its setup. If you have a card other than the 6200, please kindly post somewhere else.

Right now, my card setup is as follows:

-JaS 10.4.8 SSe2/SSe3 Intel/AMD install dvd

-Full Quartz 2D Extreme, Quartz Extreme, and Core Image using Titan and Natit

-Dual Monitor Support using Natit Dual 0.2

-Resolutions on both monitors of 1024x768x32 @60Hz (they're small 15" monitors); One is DVI, one is VGA and they perform comparably.

-Card NOT recognized as AGP Bus... I'll get to that in a minute.

My next post will be a step-by-step card setup for newbs. Feel free to jump in!

see this..

run smoothly for:

halo 3, quake, warcraft 3, call of duty 2, tumblebugs

post-116897-1185456616_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Big Noob here. Hoping someone can help me a little. Have been fighting with getting my BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256 MB AGP to do Core Image (CI) and (Quartz Extreme) QE with 10.4.9 (uphuck v1.4i R2, kernel 8.9.1 by ToH:xnu). Haven't got it to work yet. I spent a total of about 18 hours on it yesterday (including buying the card), and about 4 so far today.

I've learned all the basic tricks. Modifying Info.plist files to fiddle with IOPCIMATCH, booting to single user mode (-s) to remove non-functional kexts when all I see is a blank screen, Booting to safe mode (-x), Booting verbosely (-v), clearing out the kext cache, using chown and chmod, repairing permissions etc. I think I get all the basic "hacking" concepts.

My GeForce 6200 OC says it's a "6200A" when the VGA BIOS boots. The device ID is 0x0221, vendor ID 0x10de, revision ID 0x00a1.

I've tried the following packages, downloaded from various places on the "Interweb":

DiaboliK.1049.NVidia.Installer

Natit_Uni_1.0.pkg

Ramm's Video Driver Installer.mpkg

Titan.pkg

in addition, I've tried the various Natit and Titan / AGPGart packages that came on the uphuck DVD.

It just won't work. All I get is a black screen when I'm supposed to see the Mac desktop. The screen doesn't go to sleep, so there's definitely a signal coming out of the card. When I'm running with no kexts (and see the basic 1024x768x32@60, non CI/QE mode desktop), System Profiler detects the following in addition to what I've mentioned above:

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB [which is odd, since it has 256 MB]

I'd appreciate any wild and crazy ideas you might have. Even if you tell me to take the card back and get one that you know works (mind, it has to be 10.4.9 "uphuck v1.4i R2 / kernel 8.9.1" compatible).

Regards,

Krubic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got NVInject working on 10.5 Loepard ToH with Dual Screen working perfectly, QE/CI/Rotation

i used a custom nvcap value:

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000

download my kext here:

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=423850

I have a eVga NVidia 6200 (recognized as 6200A pci) AGP 256mb card. I am using NVinject.kext 1.1.3 (the latest) for Leopard. Device id is 221. Hopefully this helps someone else get their 6200 working as well as it should.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
I got NVInject working on 10.5 Loepard ToH with Dual Screen working perfectly, QE/CI/Rotation

i used a custom nvcap value:

04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000

download my kext here:

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=423850

I have a eVga NVidia 6200 (recognized as 6200A pci) AGP 256mb card. I am using NVinject.kext 1.1.3 (the latest) for Leopard. Device id is 221. Hopefully this helps someone else get their 6200 working as well as it should.

Good luck!

Thanks alot for the info. Do you have dual DVI or dual VGA outputs? or one VGA or DVI?

Could you please write a HowTo?

Where do i put the nvcap value?

Do i put my 'device id' in somewhere?

What files do i need?

Thanks alot.. I really hope you take the time, and reply my post.

TIA

Best regards.

• 1 year later...

EVGA GeForce 6200 256k AGP using NVkush (without the Agpguart fix) on ideneb 10.5.6. WORKS PERFECTLY out of the box on AMD 64 +3200 with no further efi strings or kext edits. Haven't tried it on double monitor tho...

GeForce 6200:

Chipset Model: GeForce 6200

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0221

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

GeForce 6200 Setup:

Note: I would STRONGLY recommend installing OSX on a main partition AND a small "test" partition (approx. 6GB). That way, you can mess with video settings and drivers (.kext files) on your test partition so they don't blue-screen your real one!

Part 1: OSX Installation

I used the JaS 10.4.8 SSe2/SSe3 Intel/AMD installation DVD. During the installation, there is an optional package that includes Titan/Natit NVIDIA support-- DO NOT CHECK THIS OPTION! If you do, you won't be able to get through OSX's registration prompts because the screen is mostly blacked out. Instead, just install the Intel support package, any sound support you think will work, etc. Restart and go through the registration prompts, minus the internet connection.

Part 2: Titan and Natit

After your basic installation, you'll notice in the System Profiler that Quartz Extreme and Core Image are not supported. Additionally, OSX doesn't recognize your graphics card device ID. Depending on the type of graphics support you need, you can install one or both of the following packages (I recommend downloading the most recent installation package... do a Google search or check the OSx86Project.org forums for links):

Titan: This is more or less necessary if you want QE and CI. Titan provides the best OpenGL support for the 6200, and will allow your card to support QE and CI. However, if your card is installed in your AGP bus, OSX will NOT recognize it as such.

Natit or Natit Dual 0.2: If you want dual monitor support, you can install Natit Dual along with Titan. If you don't need dual monitor support, I would just stick with Titan alone. If you install Natit by itself, without Titan, choosing "About This Mac" from the Finder menu will crash your system. Installing Titan fixed this for me.

Part 2.1: AGPGart.kext

If you have an AGP card, you will have noticed by now that OSX only recognizes your card as a PCI bus. Installing AGPGart 2.1 (I had no luck with 2.2) can fix this problem, but it WILL NOT WORK WITH NATIT installed, and I haven't had any luck with Titan either (it bluescreened after boot). UPDATE: Only AGPGart 1.1 and 1.2 work for Intel Chipsets. Use 2.1 or 2.2 for AMD Chipsets ONLY. It still doesn't work with Natit. AGPGart.kext may allow OSX to recognize your card as AGP, but it also may disable QE and CI.

I have been told that this is how it works (thank you riws):The AGP support instructions for Intel chipsets simply don't work; that is, OSX can't handle AGP properly on Intel Chipsets. Installing AGPGart 1.2 may allow OSX to recognize your card as AGP, but it will still perform at PCI benchmark speeds because of these "broken" AGP chipset instructions.

If you give AGPGart a try, post and let me know the results. Check this forum for help:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry411421

If OSX won't load after you add AGPGart.kext to your Extensions folder, boot to test partition and delete the .kext file from your main partition. If you don't have a test partition, MAKE ONE-- or, you can boot to your installation dvd and delete the .kext in the Terminal App:

sudo su

**Type password when prompted**

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

rm -R AGPGart.kext

cd /System/Library/

rm -R Extensions.kextcache Extensions.mkext

sudo reboot

Part 3: Quartz 2D Extreme

Because OSX has trouble with AGP cards (and even if you don't have an AGP card, you will benefit from this step as well), we can take a couple more steps to ensure that our graphics card is being used to its full potential (well, at least as far as OSX is concerned...).

Enable Quartz 2D Extreme: First, download the QuartzSimple application (search the usual places). Drag the Quartz Debug application to your Apps folder and run it. Enable Quartz 2D Extreme from the Tools menu.

Disable Beam Sync: Next, go to Tools-->Show BeamSync Tools-->Disable Beam Syncronization.

Keep Q2DE enabled across reboots: For some reason, quitting the Quartz Debugger disables Quartz 2D Extreme. So, we need to enable it across reboots by force quitting the application. To do this, hit and hold Apple ("Windows" key on a PC keyboard) + ALT + ESC. A menu will pop up showing your currently-running applications. Click on Quartz Debug and hit Force Quit.

Keep Beam Sync disabled across reboots: Open Terminal. Type in

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

To re-enable beamsync:

** Change the "0" to "1" **

***Thanks to CrazyPigeon for help on this part. CrazyPigeon's forum detailing Q2DE and BeamSync can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t11550.html

That's all for now. Thanks to anyone who helped me figure this all out so far, including the aforementioned riws, tha_toadman, and CrazyPigeon.

Post with your experiences!

Well I reinstalled iDeneb with both NVkush for video and AgpGuart and it recognized my 6200 as AGP but I lost QE/CI.

I got an xbench total of 64 which didn't change with the Quartzsimple. With NVkush alone I obtained an xbench of 40 without the Quartzsimple and a score of 77 with it enabled.

When I tried to enable QuartzGL with Quartzsimple it said QuartzGL was not supported but when I enabled it with osx86Tools it seemed to switch on.

GeForce 6200:

Chipset Model: GeForce 6200

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0221

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

• 3 months later...

Any updates on this? I have a PNY 256MB AGP Geforce 6200 card which was working fine with 10.5.6, but ever since 10.5.7 and now 10.5.8, I can't seem to enable QE/CI. I've tried various methods. Any help out there?

Any updates on this? I have a PNY 256MB AGP Geforce 6200 card which was working fine with 10.5.6, but ever since 10.5.7 and now 10.5.8, I can't seem to enable QE/CI. I've tried various methods. Any help out there?

Me too. Anyone out there know if the 6xxx series are supported with the 10.5.8 kexts?

I'm using and EFI string to set my resolution, Dual Head. Works fine.

But no qe/ci

Hey Das_Human..thanks for your reply and PM. Your link 2 doesn't work..but i checked link 3. Would those kexts apply to me even though it's for a 7600 and i have a 6200?

I tried the NVinject 512mb version, and lowered my AGP Aperture in bios to 128mb, and deleted AGPgart and now I have this:

post-260179-1250969863_thumb.png

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2#AGP

The 2 link. Nothing very important though...

Have you added the device ID to this kexts:

GeForce.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

Don't forget to do that. It is very important step. Add it than install them to Extensions folder.

The second step would be selecting a proper injector... Try NVijectGO 0.2.0 or NVDarwinXXXMB (xxx is the amount of memory your card is equipped with). Then

needed to modify the injector kext
and finally install the injector.

Also check this http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3892

If nothing of above solutions helps, check this http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20

And don't be afraid to use Google... It may help sometimes.