Upgrade G4 or time for a new Mac?

7 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what every bodies opinion on the subject. I just bought ,at a bargain price, a G4 PowerMac AGP 450.

And a 17" LCD studio monitor with the special adapter. For about $250. Now I just wanted to get a taste of a real Mac ever since I put together my Homebrew Mac. Would it be cost effective to do a CPU upgrade , throw in a SATA controller and update the Video, or would I just be throwing money away? I do realize it wont be as fast as a new Macintel, but for a reasonable price I think I could get this machine to about two thirds the speed of one for half the price. If I am completely wrong please tell me.

Thank you,

Daniel

I'd save and purchase something else.

Don't forget that system is limited by AGP speed, memory speed, and ATA speed so some of those upgrades might not be as useful.

Like always it comes down to what you want to do with the machine. You can see in my signature I am running OS X on a Dual G4 and it runs fines, so if you're just looking for "testing" or everyday tasks a minor upgrade would do it.

Couple points: I bought a PC Radeon 9500 Pro and flashed it to work on the Mac and although it is QE and CI enabled, the bottleneck is still the 2x AGP speed. I found it absolutely necessary to add a USB2 add-on card. (NEC based seemed to be best)

My G4 originally had a 477Mhz G4, which I replaced quite a while ago with an upgrade. - look in my sig. I also got an AGP Ati 6800Pro graphics card (a guy transformed a regular PC ATI graphics card into a Macintosh compatible one for me). Memory is pretty much maxed out. Back then (OS 10.3.x just came out) it was worth it - not anymore today.

But my current setup allows me to run doom3, Prey without any problems. But encoding or transcoding video is slow.

I say today go for a new Intel Mac. The g4 is a dead-end anyways, FSB memory speed is slow regardless of how fast you upgrade it.

Well, it seems like companies like Aspyr are becoming arrogant and not writing games for PPC. So if you're a gamer, it's time to get Intel... :(

I agree huge speed increase on intel macs and all applications today are getting even more power hungry although i run a g4 650mhz and it does basic tasks well even a little photoshop decently

As always, it depends on what you're doing with it. If you're doing something that you need to take as much speed as possible, then upgrade. If you're a basic computer user (Word, Safari, etc) than upgrade the G4.

Isn't that what I said? :yoji:

Always good to have corroboration.