FireWire security mode!

calmesal

26 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I updated to 10.4.10 using the latest 8.10.1 kernel and the guide here. Everything works perfectly. I have just this error when the firewire activating at the boot:

Jul 3 20:13:09 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1102 ID 4001 PCI now active, GUID 00023c003103d6a9; max speed s400.

Jul 3 20:13:09 localhost kernel[0]: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

This is anoing cause is delaying the system boot time with 5-10 sec.

Any one had this?

Hi all!

I updated to 10.4.10 using the latest 8.10.1 kernel and the guide here. Everything works perfectly. I have just this error when the firewire activating at the boot:

Jul 3 20:13:09 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1102 ID 4001 PCI now active, GUID 00023c003103d6a9; max speed s400.

Jul 3 20:13:09 localhost kernel[0]: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

This is anoing cause is delaying the system boot time with 5-10 sec.

Any one had this?

I have the same error-message at startup. Also my TC-Elektronic Konnekt8 Firewire-Audiointerface works, but it won't any longer recognized by his Controllpannel-Software...

I have an Onboard Firewireport and a Belkin PCI-Card, both with the same problem...

I have the same error-message at startup. Also my TC-Elektronic Konnekt8 Firewire-Audiointerface works, but it won't any longer recognized by his Controllpannel-Software...

I have an Onboard Firewireport and a Belkin PCI-Card, both with the same problem...

Found the sulotion. Just copy back the IOFireWireFamily.kext from 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 repaire permision and reboot.

Found the sulotion. Just copy back the IOFireWireFamily.kext from 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 repaire permision and reboot.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this out...

for anyone who need it, here is the file. It's from \System\Library\Extensions.10.4.9

Regards, Rakete

IOFireWireFamily.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone who need it, here is the file. It's from \System\Library\Extensions.10.4.9

Regards, Rakete

I was so glad I found this thread since it gave me an idea to try out..

I too have the problem of havind the Konnekt not being recognized by its own control panel.

Alas, after swapping my firewire kext, and disk repair, the error during the boot process did go away but the Konnekt is still not seen by its panel ! :(

Anybody could venture a guess ?

Alas, after swapping my firewire kext, and disk repair, the error during the boot process did go away but the Konnekt is still not seen by its panel ! :(

Yes, same happend to me

Last night, somehow I ve been able to get the darn thing to work with 10.4.10. :thumbsdown_anim:

Here's what I did:

After fixing the FW security mode error, I did a search on 'konnekt' 'TC electronics' 'assimilator' etc.. In other words, don't trust the uninstall script ! It leaves remnants of the installation everywhere. Also don't forget the Konnekt Package receipt.

So I trashed everything related to the installation.

After that I unplug the Konnekt.

Then I reinstalled the CD version of the driver.

Then before restarting I plugged the Konnekt in bus powered mode.

Then I restarted in verbose mode, et voilà ! The panel is back. It can also work with the Konnekt powered externally after that first restart.

I tried to install the 1.22 update, but then I was in trouble again. So for the time being it is going to be the 1.03 version, until they update it to a compatible version with hackintosh 10.4.10 ?

But still, if anybody has a suggestion I would be very glad to hear it, cause it seems like there is a some kind of bug with the audio firewire in the hack 10.4.10

thank you for this information, I'll try this out.

But please tell me which firmware is running on your Konnekt? the 1.03 or the one wihich is contained in the 1.22 Package (it's the konnekt_8_24d_1184.tca)

I can't believe that Driver and Panel from 1.03 work with the firmware from 1.22. So I have to downgrade the firmware?

Second question: how do you remove the whole installation with all files and al residues? I'm a little bit a Mac-Noob and don't know what to do^^

Overall the v1.22 seems to be verry buggy, as it won't work fine under XP too.

the changelog says:

Known issues with this version

PC: We have seen some systems with audio drop outs. Disabling, for instance, the Ethernet

network card or the CD-Rom drive solves the drop out problem.

We are currently working on a driver version this will fix this.

They should work fast and hard. Either sound or internet connection is a dumb decision...

thank you for this information, I'll try this out.

But please tell me which firmware is running on your Konnekt? the 1.03 or the one wihich is contained in the 1.22 Package (it's the konnekt_8_24d_1184.tca)

I can't believe that Driver and Panel from 1.03 work with the firmware from 1.22. So I have to downgrade the firmware?

Second question: how do you remove the whole installation with all files and al residues? I'm a little bit a Mac-Noob and don't know what to do^^

Overall the v1.22 seems to be verry buggy, as it won't work fine under XP too.

the changelog says:

They should work fast and hard. Either sound or internet connection is a dumb decision...

search with spotlight, then trash everything that looks like it's been coming from Konnekt or TC Electronics. Be merciless !

Here's a view of my Konnect Settings:

post-111613-1184504103_thumb.jpg

post-111613-1184504108_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's the error "error : firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure"

Well I have to say this works in Leopard as well. I was getting the exact same error in my P5W DH Deluxe. I'm running 10.5.1 Vanilla kernel on a GUID partitions scheme with EFI version 8.

I just replaced the IOFireWireFamily.kext with one from Tiger and then put back the Leopard one and the error went away in single user mode!

I would have never figured that out. I run all kinds of music gear: FireBox by Presonus and Logic Studio, and an Mbox. I also run Native Instruments and now Guitar Rig sees my FireBox in Stand alone mode. I used to only be able to get Guitar rig to see my inputs via logic.

Awesome I think I have a perfect Hackintosh.

well I spoke too soon. It worked for a little while and now the error is back. But it's not a problem, it's just something that shows up once in verbose mode. Doesn't effect my system.

I don't know about mac drive sorry.

I just drag and drop the kexts using multiple versions of MacOS. I grabbed the kext from tiger and put into leopard. Then I switched it back. But it doesn't matter.

• 1 month later...

I'm having this problem on Leopard as well, and along with the security error, I get:

FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!

I replaced the kexts as instructed, repaired permissions and rebooted. The error messages while booting in -v mode went away, however, my firewire devices are still not recognized properly. A description shows up in the system profiler, but the devices do not mount... :rolleyes:

Any ideas? I am using my onboard firewire, mobo is nforce4 board, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Also, this worked flawlessly in Tiger (without any need to replace kexts or what not), but has not worked for me in Leopard...

I also have this Firewire Error problem in Leopard,

i am sur it have to to with AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext or IOATAFamily.kext .

Cause these were the ones i moded before the problem apears.

• 1 month later...
I'm having this problem on Leopard as well, and along with the security error, I get:FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!I replaced the kexts as instructed, repaired permissions and rebooted. The error messages while booting in -v mode went away, however, my firewire devices are still not recognized properly. A description shows up in the system profiler, but the devices do not mount... :(Any ideas? I am using my onboard firewire, mobo is nforce4 board, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Also, this worked flawlessly in Tiger (without any need to replace kexts or what not), but has not worked for me in Leopard...
Exact same problem here: i applied the kext as instructed etc, the firewire disks won't show up right away but after roughly 10 minutes. Which is very annoying as i have about 4 FW drives. Once it is recognized you can add others awell and they show up right away as they should. Seems like my Hackintosh needs about 10 minutes to make them visible on the desktop.THe systemprofiler shows it as if they were mounted thoughAny solutions so far?Kalyway 10.5.2 on a EP35-DS3P
I'm having this problem on Leopard as well, and along with the security error, I get:FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!I replaced the kexts as instructed, repaired permissions and rebooted. The error messages while booting in -v mode went away, however, my firewire devices are still not recognized properly. A description shows up in the system profiler, but the devices do not mount... :(Any ideas? I am using my onboard firewire, mobo is nforce4 board, the Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Also, this worked flawlessly in Tiger (without any need to replace kexts or what not), but has not worked for me in Leopard...
Exact same problem here: i applied the kext as instructed etc, the firewire disks won't show up right away but after roughly 10 minutes. Which is very annoying as i have about 4 FW drives. Once it is recognized you can add others awell and they show up right away as they should. Seems like my Hackintosh needs about 10 minutes to make them visible on the desktop.THe systemprofiler shows it as if they were mounted thoughAny solutions so far?Kalyway 10.5.2 on a EP35-DS3P

• 2 months later...

Why does most of them have the same problem i have the same problem i try to install mac osx leopard and while booting i have this meassage

FireWire (OHCI)Vendor ID 1180 ID 832 PCI

Now active,GUID 0080da0d182544c0;max speed s400

ath-attach:devid ox24

override HT40 CTL -Power EEPROm Version 14.4,Device Type 5

Error:Firewire unable to determind security mode;defulting to full-secure

still waiting for root device

if anyone can help me wiht this will ve really very appreciated thanks a lot.....

• 1 month later...
Guest ѕиоѡ

Regards, Rakete

Was looking for this, thx a lot bro!

Update: Working!!! this has fixed the +10 sec stall on my rig, thx again!

Why does most of them have the same problem i have the same problem i try to install mac osx leopard and while booting i have this meassage

FireWire (OHCI)Vendor ID 1180 ID 832 PCI

Now active,GUID 0080da0d182544c0;max speed s400

ath-attach:devid ox24

override HT40 CTL -Power EEPROm Version 14.4,Device Type 5

Error:Firewire unable to determind security mode;defulting to full-secure

still waiting for root device

if anyone can help me wiht this will ve really very appreciated thanks a lot.....

I am having the same type of issue at install from the Kalyway leopard dvd. Gets to this firewire error and hangs unable to install. Ideas?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Regards, Rakete

I tried that method, but it doesn't seem to work anymore with 10.5.5. Is there a solution to the firewire dilemma for 10.5.5? My FW Drives are painfully slow ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have Konnekt 24d too and when I install the driver it says I have to update firmware and when I try to do that I can see .tca file in the folder, but I can't select it (open it), I can't click on it. I have 10.5.4 iAtkos.

Does anybody know what I should do?