Oink

32 posts in this topic

OiNK is Alive! Learn How to Access

Written by enigmax on July 01, 2007

The hugely popular BitTorrent tracker OiNK.me.uk appears to be offline but it is in fact alive and well. OiNK is suffering from some annoying DNS issues, strangely enough their domain registrar decided to suspend the domain. The good news is that with a little tweak, it’s still possible to access the site. Read on.

OiNK

A few people have been panicking over the last 48 hours since they can no longer access the OiNK BitTorrent tracker. Understandable perhaps, when one considers the developments in the Netherlands during the last week involving everlasting.nu, Demonoid and Leaseweb.

However, they are not down but are experiencing some DNS issues - the mechanism by which easily readable domain names such as OiNK.me.uk are translated to their corresponding IP addresses.

In the meantime, it is still possible to access the site by using its IP address and typing it directly into your browsers address bar. The IP address is: 85.17.40.71

Those that are happy to experiment with their Hosts file may edit it and add the following information for continued access to OiNK, it’s tracker and IRC channel. From the OiNK site:

“We apologise for the continuing DNS problems. You can get around this by adding our hostnames directly to your hosts file. Add the following lines to your \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (the number of spaces between the IP and the name doesn’t matter as long as there’s at least one space (or tab):”

85.17.40.69 tracker.oink.me.uk

85.17.40.70 irc.oink.me.uk

85.17.40.71 oink.me.uk

Hopefully the issues will be fixed soon.

- TorrenFreak.com

how do you add the ips to a mac?

Here you go sexy:

1. Open Terminal

2. In terminal Window type: sudo pico /etc/hosts

3. Give terminal your Password

You now have a file opened in Terminal so we continue.

4. You now see some IP’s at the bottom of the list do add these:

85.17.40.69 tracker.oink.me.uk

85.17.40.70 irc.oink.me.uk

85.17.40.71 oink.me.uk

5. Then ctrl and x for exit — then y for confirmation — then return-key.

And now you can access the site again.

Ps, just drag and drop, instead of re-type

Due to problems with their DNS, it looks like OiNK is changing their domain name from oink.me.uk to oink.cd

Here's the announcement (from their front page):

Because of the recent DNS issues, and the undesirable solution to fix them, we are changing the site's name from OiNK.me.uk to OiNK.cd.

The OiNK.me.uk domain will soon cease to function, and a full changeover will happen shortly. Please update your bookmarks.

Please also re-download any torrents you may have in your clients in order to update the tracker address. Torrents downloaded from now on will contain 2 tracker addresses, the new OiNK.cd domain, and the tracker's IP address, which should make any future DNS issues less serious. They will also contain the site's IP address in the torrent comment field, in case of future problems.

Sorry about the inconvenience, but we deem the name change necessary for the continuation of the site.