XGL, Compiz,... on GMA950

Mebster

7 posts in this topic

I know a question like this is better asked on the Ubuntu (in this case) forum but I've looked all over it and haven't found a direct answer.

I want to a fairly detailed guide as to how I can get all the 3D effects on my system which has a GMA950 graphics card.

Firstly I need to let you all know that I know almost nothing about Linux. But would like to give it a try. After all I knew almost nothing about Macs until two years ago.

So I know it's possible to get it all working on my system because I've read it's been done but no one seems to go into much detail as to how you do it. And the ones that do seem to either be taking a completely different language or are referring to different specs.

I know we here have a lot of Linux buffs too so if any of you would be helpfull enough to guide me I would very much appreciate it.

-AcePlayer

The simplest guide I've ever read regarding XGL-Compiz/Beryl can be found here.

However, I think the latest version of Ubuntu comes with XGL and Beryl preinstalled. You may want to check that out first.

You don't need XGL (the total replacement of the Linux graphical server with an openGL version), AIGLX (which is a plug in for the old graphical server called xorg) will do because you have an intel card which have brilliant Linux drivers - this comes as default on Ubuntu, Fedora 7, Mandriva, Mephis and lots of new distributions.

1) download and install ubuntu 7.04

2) go to the Control panel, go to "Desktop effect" and click "Enable"

and you're done.

Of course you can then look into Beryl (in the command line: sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager emerald ) and do some customisation with a Beryl fork of Compiz.

Very easy, very pretty :D

Any problems IM me.

You don't need XGL (the total replacement of the Linux graphical server with an openGL version), AIGLX (which is a plug in for the old graphical server called xorg) will do because you have an intel card which have brilliant Linux drivers
Hi thanks a lot for your help. I though XGL was better than AIGLX and that's why I was looking for XGL.

2) go to the Control panel, go to "Desktop effect" and click "Enable"
I think I've looked at this and all it does is the wobbly window effect but not the 3D desktops or anything else which is also what I wanted.

Of course you can then look into Beryl (in the command line: sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager emerald ) and do some customisation with a Beryl fork of Compiz.
Slightly lost here. Basically enter that in terminal and it does what? Install Beryl? Also how do you customise with "Beryl fork of Compiz"

Very easy, very pretty ;)
Hope so ;)

Thanks again to all