Has anyone gotten screen sharing working?

SeanM

11 posts in this topic

I figured it out, seems obvious but I did not have screen-sharing enabled on my Tiger machines. Feel so stupid now....

It's really fast and smooth and works great. I wish you could drag files from your computer to the other one being shared (like Parallels), but maybe I just haven't found out how to do that.

Has anyone figured out how (or if it's possible) to start screen sharing via Applescript? I'd like to be able to bypass the password entering thing and just click on an applescript app in the dock or something.

I'd like to be able to bypass the password entering thing and just click on an applescript app in the dock or something.

I have Tiger machine's password stored in keychain and it does not ask anything.

I wish you could drag files from your computer to the other one being shared (like Parallels), but maybe I just haven't found out how to do that.

You might need Remote Desktop or Leopard installed on the other computer. It works on mine.

edit: just finished automating this completely with Applescript... hopefully someone else will find this useful. Copy into Script Editor.app and save it.

--Opens Screen Sharing
tell application "Screen Sharing"
activate
end tell

--Inputs computer name and connects
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "iMac.local"
keystroke return
end tell

change iMac.local to the name of the computer you want to connect to. Your password must be stored in the keychain for this to work.

You can save this as an application and keep it in your dock, use it in Automator workflows, use it as a trigger in quicksilver or something, etc.

Edited by SeanM

yeah it works ,,, better than remote desktop (for me) .. but only have got it on local networks not through ichat .

Then what is the iChat Screen sharing button for?

EDIT: Never mind, I misunderstood what you were saying there.