Please Help 9A466 On G4 733

will1983

21 posts in this topic

Hey i know how to edit OSinstall.mpkg to change unsupported machine but in this build i can't use the show package content on the dmg. is there anyone that can help me about it. Maybe the 9a466 build are protected for this ? please confirm this !

"The latest minor feature revealed has been the use of XAR for Leopard's package format."

-MacRumors

Ya so that's that program. You can find it via google but it's a command line util. I don't know the specs about it. I'm going to send you a pm with a user to contact about this issue.

his isn't because the speed is below the required. he's going to have to change the required specs in a file inside the package to fix.

What is the required speed? Leopard works fine on my PB G4 867, although 512 MB is clearly not enough. :lol:

Easiest way is to install on an external drive using another PPC supported machine (G4 800 MHz and better) and move that drive to the PPC G4 733 MHz. Then it will run.

The command line utility xar can be used to modify the installer package but unless you know command lines, stay away from it and take the easier route above. The developer says Pacifist will support xar packages before the final Leopard release in October.

"How about someone seed the edited file. That way one can make the DVD him/herself. Any takers?"

Well, I decided to do it myself. The OSInstall.mpkg has been edited and now it will install for the 733Mhz G4. It took me a minute to do it but it's done. Time for sleep. Zzz...

bimism

Easiest way is to install on an external drive using another PPC supported machine (G4 800 MHz and better) and move that drive to the PPC G4 733 MHz. Then it will run.

The command line utility xar can be used to modify the installer package but unless you know command lines, stay away from it and take the easier route above. The developer says Pacifist will support xar packages before the final Leopard release in October.

I was trying to go this very same route in order to get Leopard on my G4 Cube. Installation went fine. However, the computer got stuck at the grey screen with the Apple logo.

PM me if you want the file as I'm not sure if posting it is allowed here. Basically make a r/w version of the DVD. Replace the OSInstall.mpkg. Restore the "new" DVD to a partition. Startup from the partition and install as stated before.

bimism

• 1 month later...