Backup image of OS

revert

5 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out how to backup my hard drive and what software to use. There's disk utility and superduper but correct me if i'm wrong, if i have a 200 gig hard drive i want to image it, doesn't need to be bootable, just that i can restore, the target partition needs to be around the same size, even slightly larger? Even if i'm only using 20 gig of the drive?

I'm used to using True Image in Windows, if i use the dame data above, the image created would be about 18gig, probably use a 25 gig partition to write to. So do i have this right? If it is, because of Disk utilities destructive nature, i either waste a 200 gig partition on backing up 20 gig of data or i need to start from scratch and partition my drive for easier backups?

If you zero out unused space of your osx partition (with DiskUtility), with trueimage with compression on you'll have an image of about half the size of that partition (depending on what other data you have in there, eg already compressed music won't compress much).

(This is if you use TrueImage's bootable cd, and save image on fat/ntfs partition; I do this all the time without problems)

If you zero out unused space of your osx partition (with DiskUtility), with trueimage with compression on you'll have an image of about half the size of that partition (depending on what other data you have in there, eg already compressed music won't compress much).

(This is if you use TrueImage's bootable cd, and save image on fat/ntfs partition; I do this all the time without problems)

That's how i used to do it when i was backing up when running a dual boot XP and OSx86. I'll give that a try.

Carbon Copy cloner will just do as superduper does and create and exact clone, not really want i wanted.

ibackup looks ok for backing up but not a boot disk that you might want to restore from.