Leaping Leopards!

Vsquared

9 posts in this topic

you can generally boot any Mac OS installation on any machine which supports that version of Mac OS X (for the same processor architecture). Ie you could install to a USB drive on a MacBook and boot it on a Mac Pro, or install to a Firewire drive on a Power Mac G5 and boot it on an iBook G4.

Note that (afaik) Intel macs can boot from USB but not firewire (anyone confirm this?) whereas PPC macs are the other way round - can boot from FireWire but not USB.

you can generally boot any Mac OS installation on any machine which supports that version of Mac OS X (for the same processor architecture). Ie you could install to a USB drive on a MacBook and boot it on a Mac Pro, or install to a Firewire drive on a Power Mac G5 and boot it on an iBook G4.

Note that (afaik) Intel macs can boot from USB but not firewire (anyone confirm this?) whereas PPC macs are the other way round - can boot from FireWire but not USB.

Intel macs can boot from both USB and Firewire as PPC can only boot from firewire

As a previous poster said, and I can confirm, my Macbook Pro can boot from Firewire or USB external disks, as long as they are formatted as GUID Partition Table.

My Powerbook G4 can boot from an external Firewire drive, as long as it is formatted as Apple Partition Map.

Im almost positive Intel Macs can boot off Apple Partition Map as the Tiger Install dvd is that format. The only thing is Boot Camp will not work if your internal drive is APM. So in theory you can install Leopard from the dvd to a Firewire drive thats formated APM and boot both types of machines. You can boot off USB 2.0 on a PPC machine, but it requires changing Open Firmware variables.

For those who want USB

Enjoy :police: