What could be my problem (installing leopard)

sleepjunkie

8 posts in this topic

So, I waited and waited for a leopard torrent and hopped on it hours after it was leaked. I WAS excited for it, but now I'm just going crazy. It's really making me feel like an idiot. This is what I have done:

I have a USB external enclosure, so I partitioned that twice. I restored the Leopard image onto the 10GB partition and started the installation. 5 minutes or so into it, the harddrive light turned red (should be blue) and the status bar stopped. So, I formatted it again and tried one more time and got the same problem.

Next I formatted my 5G iPod the same way, restored the image, started the installation, and it stopped again. I tried it again and got the same problem.

Then I decided to restore the image to the external enclosure and install to my iPod. I don't remember exactly what happened here, but it didn't work again.

Finally I removed xcode and printer drivers and installed to my 5G iPod. The install (miracuously) finished. When there was about a minute left on the installation I walked out of the room. I came back and saw I had the gray apple status screen. I left that up for well over an hour and a half and then just decided to shut down my MBP.

My last attempt was using a 4G firewire iPod. For some reason I cannot partition it and I get an input/output error. I've asked on the oink IRC channel and some people tried to help. I've read through every topic online I could find about it, and nobody seems to be going through this. What could my problem be? I'm tempted to clone my harddrive to an external drive and install right onto my internal laptop drive, but I really don't feel like going through that. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to burn another DVD and attempt an install to my external drive, and if that fails I'll try the iPod again.

With things being USB, any idea how long I should be waiting for the actual OS to startup?

Grmbl:

How can I verify the image? I'll try your instructions when I get home from work.

Just go ahead and mount it, it should verify it first.

If it doesn't you can drag it in Disk Utility's sidebar, click it and click the Verify button (the one with the microscope).