So, I've got to ask...

VelvetEvolver

6 posts in this topic

I'm pretty new to this forum, and I'd like to pose an honest question to the powers that be. First off, let me preface this by saying that I'm in no way trying to criticize the moderators. I realize that it's thankless volunteer work, and you're only following orders.

I'll also be perfectly honest when I say that I began watching this board heavily in the last week or so, in hopes of finding a way to download the beta of Leopard from WWDC 07, and I'm well aware of how Apple would feel about any of us being successful in doing so. From that standpoint, I completely understand the closing of topics and overall disapproval of any topics relating to the distribution of an illegal file. (Doesn't change my desire to download it, but I digress).

That being said, how exactly does this site justify not only topics relating to, but an official category devoted to the installation of OS X on non-Apple hardware? Upon further reading, there is a FAQ of sorts that describes this as "illegal" as well as "immoral".

Again, not trying to provoke, I really am looking for some clarification. Mind you, I'm fine with OSx86 installations on a personal and moral level, because it falls under the same basic idea that I believe a lot of these Leopard Watchers share. Naturally there will be plenty of folks who will download this off of a torrent site, and will do the same once the retail version hits, with no intention of paying for it, which is deplorable. However, there are thousands of folks like myself, that are just satisfying a technological curiosity of sorts, and have every intention of buying a retail version as soon as it's available, much like I did with Vista, so help me god.

Thanks to everyone for their time.

I think he's wondering how to morally deal with the issues of illegal Tiger installations on osX86 machines and the standpoint of IM on Leopard Developer PreReleases.

Basically, if you've been informed on Apple's aggressive crackdowns on their PreRelease OS, distributing it or sharing a location where it can be downloaded off from simply means a probable Cease&Desist (C&D) or a lawsuit direct from Apple itself for the owners of IM. Apple however does not apply this same aggressive behavior when their Retail OS is shared online, and I'm wondering about this myself, but that's how Apple treats its PreRelease stuff.

IM mods close threads that are 1) a waste of space (uninformative) 2) is directly illegal in nature (sharing of links, etc.) and 3) related to explicit discussions of Apple PreRelease software (obviously because of legal matters). They will allow, however, educational discourse on Apple's OS and software related to it (including hacking and modifying software), not including Apple-labeled "top-secret" items.

Hooray for alternative educational sources! :D

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. That's all I was wondering... it's much more of a "huh?" directed at Apple versus IM. To offer a comparison, it seems like the equivalent of people finding a way to play Playstation 3 games on an Xbox 360, and Sony not blinking an eye.... yet at the same time launching the gestapo if someone were to leak a preview version of God of War 3.

Perhaps I should've phrased it in a way that didn't seem like so much of an attack on IM's policy, lord knows I would fear the mighty arm of Apple's legal department.

Thanks for the honest and polite answers!

I think that IM is fine because it has no links to the files required to patch Mac OS X to run on non-Apple hardware.

For the Leopard leak issue... I think it's more because the flow of "where is leopard?" topics was getting annoying, since direct links (not even to torrent files) were never posted anyway.