Installing XP over Vista

AdamL

10 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm trying to install XP over Vista, which came with this laptop of my friends. I've tried to boot into the cd but I never get the message to do this. I have changed the boot order, and it still doesn't work. It loads right into Vista. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I have changed the boot order, and it still doesn't work.

Do you mean the BIOS boot order? Try also hitting esc, that is how some computers allow you to choose the boot device.

Make sure that the XP CD is not corrupted.

Yeah I meant the BIOS boot order. I've tried hitting esc also but I didn't get anywhere. I'll keep trying though. Thanks

EDIT:

Ha, I think I got it working!

What I did was went into Repair Recovery for Vista. Loaded the command prompt and it allowed me to go to the I386 folder on the disk and load WINNT32.EXE.

EDIT

Nevermind. After it restarted and continues with the XP setup process it comes up with an error and I have to restart. It just keeps happening.

ESC, F1, F2, F11 etc is the key. Keep trying till you get a boot menu. Even try F8. You CAN get the cd to book, then go into the XP setup, when it shows the Partitions/hard drives DELETE the main one, recreate it and that will whipe Vista completely off. Hope that helps.

Damn. Use Partition Magic. It's a great app to help you doing this """". Also, try calling the support center of the manufacturer, they will help you. Otherwise, don't format your Vista partition before reading the waranty paper. Just for being sure.