NO LINUX DISTRO likes my Nvidia card....

Grav3Mind

14 posts in this topic

I cant install and form or fashion of linux...the graphical interface ALWAYS says that it fails to load....*sigh* i even tried open SUSE last night.... still nothing. any ideas??

Grav3

PS: its a Geforce pci 5500 fx

I cant install and form or fashion of linux...the graphical interface ALWAYS says that it fails to load....*sigh* i even tried open SUSE last night.... still nothing. any ideas??

Grav3

That should work. How do you install the driver?

BTW, in order to have at least the nv driver, in SUSE type "sax2" (without the quotes) from the command line.

Grav3

I have the same problem on my desktop computer with 6600. To solve this, you have to use vesa or

nvidia drivers, not nv (nv seems to be buggy with some cards). Open xorg.conf and find "nv" reference then change it to vesa or download and install nvidia drivers and change "nv" to "nvidia".

I have the same problem on my desktop computer with 6600. To solve this, you have to use vesa or

nvidia drivers, not nv (nv seems to be buggy with some cards). Open xorg.conf and find "nv" reference then change it to vesa or download and install nvidia drivers and change "nv" to "nvidia".

Again, in SUSE start sax2 from the command line and you'll have some kind of graphical interface.

From there you can download and install the NVIDIA drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

i use almost the same card Nvidia GeFORCE FX5500 but the agp version. and is supported natively on most linux distributions i have tried.

Fedora core 4, Ubuntu, Solaris 10 to name a few.

OSX is happy with natit dual 0.2 drivers.

I dunno if PCI/AGP makes so much difference in compatibility?