boot from SATA problem

Fix Miller

13 posts in this topic

I instaled OS X 10.4.8 on a ATA drive ( but i get slow performance due the only UDMA 66 drive capabilities);

I used Carbon copy cloner to move the data to the SATA partition,

All good but when i restart and boot from SATA nothing happends...

Second option, tryed SuperDuper ,

Super duper and the default OS X startup disk selector trow the same error:

nvram: nvram is not supported on this system.

Could not find IODeviceTree:/options

Note: i have allready used the AppleNForceATA.kext to mount the SATA drive - formated it - all ok

PC: MB: Asus P5ND2 - SLI

Procesor Intel LGA 3. G;

RAM ; 4x 1024 Kinkston 533;

PV: 7300GT PCIE

HDD : 120G SATA seagate;

HDD2 : 20G maxtor;

Can anyone pinpoint me to what should i do in order to make the SATA Drive bootable,

or at list how to pach the DVD in order to recognize the silicon image controller

Tnx

If you only want to set the Boot-flag to your SATA drive, simply download the 'Gparted Live CD' (a linux live cd), boot from cd, select your hdd, select 'manage flags' and set the boot flag, restart and cross your fingers.

Cheers,

aKy

Can you see your SATA drive, when you start your system with PATA? Do you need any extra driver to see that?

Your MOBO - P5N%%%% - is using Nforce chipset for SATA control, I would assume. The driver for that is not very supported.

no my SATA controller is not supported by default in OS X 10.4.8,

I used the bikedude's AppleNForceATA kext to mount my SATA drive

now they both work perfectly fine(ATA & SATA drive)

but i am trying to move the installed OS on the SATA drive for increased performance,

no my SATA controller is not supported by default in OS X 10.4.8,

I used the bikedude's AppleNForceATA kext to mount my SATA drive

now they bouth work perfectly fine(ATA & SATA drive)

but i am trying to move the installed OS on the SATA drive for increased performance,

That's what I mean, you clone with that driver probably will not be good as a bootable volume on SATA. It's not a perfect one. :(

hmmm,

ok then, what is my best option if i want to have the OS on the SATA drive?

What I heard is to buy a SI adapter card for SATA to IDE. :(:hysterical:

Search the forum, you will find something. Keyword: silicon image

:wacko: i know that "solution"

i've been spending the last 5-6 days on all kind of forums, and from what i understood there are 3 options if i want to have OS X installed on my SATA :

1.Use WMWare to install from Xp (or somtin) and then follow a painful process to make the OS boot native from SATA,

2.Use the SI adapter card,

3.Move the OS from a ATA partition using cloning software - i tried Carbon Copy cloner and Super Duper (which i am trying right now :()

Now, is there a way to go all the way with the last option ? :hysterical:

or.. i could try the Uphuck 10.4.9 UB x86 DVD 1.3 - but i have looked through the driver list and i did not see anything that looks or sounds like the NForce Sata Controller,

does anyone know if this version has support for NForce SATA ?

:thumbsup_anim: i know that "solution"

i've been spending the last 5-6 days on all kind of forums, and from what i understood there are 3 options if i want to have OS X installed on my SATA :

1.Use WMWare to install from Xp (or somtin) and then follow a painful process to make the OS boot native from SATA,

2.Use the SI adapter card,

3.Move the OS from a ATA partition using cloning software - i tried Carbon Copy cloner and Super Duper (which i am trying right now :thumbsup_anim: )

Now, is there a way to go all the way with the last option ? :thumbsup_anim:

or.. i could try the Uphuck 10.4.9 UB x86 DVD 1.3 - but i have looked through the driver list and i did not see anything that looks or sounds like the NForce Sata Controller,

does anyone know if this version has support for NForce SATA ?

If I had know this before, I wouldn't buy my current motherboard. I would definitely choose a MOBO with Intel chipset... WTH.

There is one thing I still can do is installa eSATA drive, it is shown in my OSX without any additonal driver. :):)

Get a copy of Clonetool H1. I haven't used it, but heard good things about it. Give it a try. It apparently does full backup or clone of hackintosh systems. The other thing you might want to try is making sure the SATA drive partition is set to MASTER BOOT DRIVE instead of GUID. Do that and then clone your ATA to the SATA drive. You could always do a fresh install and then use migration assistant to move your data and settings over to the SATA drive. Just a thought. :( Try the first option and see what happens.

Chevy