MacBook Pro RAM upgrade

11 posts in this topic

I can confirm from personal (a bit painful experience) that the 945 chipset - which the MBP has - only supports 4GB max grand total for all components. So if you cram 4GB in, the 945 mobo will never be able to address it all as usable RAM since it already reserved some space for all the other components. You'll only get 3.25GB RAM plus you might even run into instability problems. (that's most likely why Apple is at least 'honest' enough - unlike other manufacturers - to tell people up front that 3GB is the limit. Don't waste your money.)

I can confirm from personal (a bit painful experience) that the 945 chipset - which the MBP has - only supports 4GB max grand total for all components. So if you cram 4GB in, the 945 mobo will never be able to address it all as usable RAM since it already reserved some space for all the other components. You'll only get 3.25GB RAM plus you might even run into instability problems. (that's most likely why Apple is at least 'honest' enough - unlike other manufacturers - to tell people up front that 3GB is the limit. Don't waste your money.)

Thanks for the information. Do you think it would work if I replace one of the 1 GB RAM chips with a 2 GB one?