Leopard 64-bit - time to upgrade processors

moid

4 posts in this topic

64-bit will be all the rage in Leopard.

But we early adopters of the iMac Intel that sport a Core Duo, need to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo (64-bit ompatible) so we can enjoy Leopart in all its glory.

Aside from Maclife's Tutorial, I never managed to find other.

And do you guys know what processors can I upgrade to?

And will all settings be recognized by the Mac?

Did anyone there upgraded the HDD too?

I never thought seriously of upgrading before.. But now I'm compelled to do so (after all, I'm not willing - $$$ - to buy a new mac right now)

Thanks,

moid

Edit:

What we need now:

- A Core 2 Duo Merom Processor like
one

Basicly you need to get one of the non Santa Rosa based T series mobile Core 2 Duos. The T7600, T7400, T7200, T5600, and T5500 (no VT Technology in this last CPU). These all run on a 667 MHz bus. Luckily with the release of the Santa Rosa chips that means the listed ones here will start to drop in price. I think Intel is also planning a CPU price drop in July.

As for a hard drive any 3.5" SATA drive should work fine.

It's probably going to be at least another year before you start seeing apps that take advantage of Leopard 64-bits abilities. You'll probably be buying another system before you need a 64-bit CPU.

It's probably going to be at least another year before you start seeing apps that take advantage of Leopard 64-bits abilities. You'll probably be buying another system before you need a 64-bit CPU.

3rd Party yes but apple has already integrated 64bit apps with 10.5 so a user can at least see some performance gains there too. Would it be worth upgrading though? Thats hard to say without seeing and using the new os yet.