Core Animation

mnit

3 posts in this topic

I think Core Animation is easily one of the most exciting aspects of Leopard. It's like Apple are saying to the world, "Our Operating System goes out of its way to make third party apps look sexy on it!". The sort of implementations Apple have been giving us peaks of really are just the tip of the iceberg, limited as they are by Apple's extremely determined and defined plan for their OS. The potential of Core Animation for third parties is just brilliant - think of the possibilities!

I spent an age a year or two ago trying to design a media centre application that didn't look like it had been butchered together. Since then of course Apple TV has somewhat eliminated the need, but still, with Core Animation in tow I reckon I could do something really great.

So, any of you got ideas how you'd like to use it, or see it used? Any cool UI ideas out there that could become reality come october? And what do you think of Core Animation in general?

I think that adding animation to UI judiciously could result in some marked improvements

in design and usability. However the animation must serve a purpose rather than be gratuitous.

I happen to think that Coverflow is a decent technology for folders with a relatively small amount of files.

I think Leopard's grid view from the dock is very handy and I love the way you can go from playing a video using

Quicklook to scaling it up to full screen width smoothly.

Core Animation sure has a lot of potential, the demos always leave me stunned.

I'm looking foward to see the first third party projects using it, I may as well try and fiddle with it when I won't be so busy... it looks like it could make things pretty easy even for people without experience on graphical operations.

I just hope the performance gets better than the 9A410 and lower Time Machine, but that should be pretty obvious.