To all Asus P5N-E SLI Users

Envying

23 posts in this topic

We shall have a thread to talk about this MOBO, right?

How's your progress? What patch you have installed? What's you Xbench score, blah, blah....

Post your reply with interest, please. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsdown_anim:

I got almost the same configuration, and 10.4.8 Jas is working fine for me.

I can also update to 10.4.9 but with kernel 8.8.1

I tried to update to 8.9.1 and have a big trobles with it... It starts boot, and then hangs randomly. If any one installed 8.9.1 kernel, please tell us how you did it.

I got almost the same configuration, and 10.4.8 Jas is working fine for me.

I can also update to 10.4.9 but with kernel 8.8.1

I tried to update to 8.9.1 and have a big trobles with it... It starts boot, and then hangs randomly. If any one installed 8.9.1 kernel, please tell us how you did it.

I totally gave up on upgrading my system to 10.4.9 with 8.9.1 with this board. I will wait for Hacked 10.5... :):hysterical:

Here is a brief of my OS X 10.4.8 installation.

My installation on IDE drive with Jas 10.4.8 clicked at the very beginning, only left with onboard LAN, onboard sound, SATA. The system was hang when I clicked "restart" after installation window. It showed like:

"Contiuned

Mach reboot..."

I had to push on reset button to reboot my machine.

Then, I got the ALC883 driver(only stero, no HD), SATA driver (not able to write or modify partitions) installed, tried Nforce Lan driver, couldn't make it work, I switched to a DLink DFE-538TX PCI card first, still couldn't make it work. I had to switch this card with my old Realtek RTL-8139. After all this, my OS X seemed to be 90% good, still had issues with Sleep and Restart.

Once, 10.4.9 upgrades came available, I was thinking it might be a chance for me to resolve "Sleep & Restart" with new kernel. Then, I thought I should keep my current system safe with a clone. I went through a lot of different way to clone and restore the system, including CCT, Superduper, Ghost, Diskutil... Nothing to me was perfect. I may try to use a higher version of Ghost (11.1) later on.

First upgrading try to 10.4.9 was Jas's combo, then delta upgrade, then Uphuck 1.2, then Uphuck 1.3, I probably tried more than 30 times, especially with 15 times or so on Uphuck 1.3. Meanwhile I did some VM installation also, bloody slow...

I almost gave up with the 10.4.9 upgrading, but I may give it some more tries, if I could make a good clone of my current system. Hehe! :D;)

I'm about to build a new pc with this motherboard, I was planning on installing the Uphuck v1.3 OSX disc. Would you recommend I get a different motherboard? What was the best version of OSX with this motherboard (10.4.8?)

Cross posting this from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=53231

I built a new PC today around the Asus P5N-E SLI, so I just thought I'd share my experiences. To install, I used JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 incl. PPF1, found at TPB a while back. I'd had an AMD Athlon 64 (3500+) system before and I ran OS X successfully on it for a few months, but it was an incredible pain in the ass to set up.

The complete specs of my system are:

Asus P5N-E SLI

Intel Core Duo 2 E6600

2GB Corsair Value Select

Point-Of-View nVidia 7600GT

160GB PATA (Seagate), 250GB SATA (Seagate), 74GB SATA (Western Digital Raptor)

To install I had to use the IDE drive, as the two SATA drives weren't picked up at all.

Anyway, with the first install I deselected everything apart from JaS's Intel & the Intel loginwindow patch. Installation completed but I was getting a panic in GeForce.kext at boot.

Second install, I used the same settings but included NV40 Titan. This worked pretty much perfectly, booted into OS X with QE/CI. Audio & Ethernet don't work out of the box. Audio can be fixed using a package I found here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520 (ALC883Audio.pkg). Ethernet might be usable if you edit the Yukon kext but I just used an old NIC I had lying around and it worked out without any configuration.

For SATA, I tried giving the nForce4 SATA/IDE kext a whirl and with it installed all my SATA drives could be seen and I was able to (briefly) navigate through them before I encountered a pretty weird bug. My drive activity light would light up and stay lit about 5 seconds after landing at the desktop. Finder would then promptly hang. Checking through system.log I noticed the error "IOATAController device blocking bus" being repeated every 30 seconds or so. I was able to repeat this in single user mode. The drive could be initially mounted in single user mode, but a few moments into running fsck the drive light but stay constantly lit and the "IOATAController device blocking bus" error would return.

To get around this I purchased a cheap Silicon Image 3112A based PCI SATA card for €30 and it works like a champ and was pretty easy to setup. Here's how I went about getting it working:

For any 3112A chipset owners, here's a little guide to getting it working:

1) Grab the latest BASE bios for your 3112 from here - at the time of writing this it was the first result "SiI3112 IDE, SATARAID and system BIOS" (BIO-003112-xxx-4283.zip)

2) Flash your card with the included BASE bios ("b" before the filename)

3) Boot into OS X with at least one drive attached to the card

4) Open up /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

5) Scroll down to the "<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>" section

6) Change:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x528810B9.....</string>

to include at the end

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x528810B9.....0x31121095</string>

Repair permissions using disk utility, reboot and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey

Recently got this mobo, it's very nice with the E6600 and a nvidia 8600GT videocard.

I tried several different osx versions, none of them wants to boot from the dvd, just gives me kernel panic with the "unable to find drivers for this platform: "ACPI"".

None of you had this problem?

Best regards Patrik

Hey

Recently got this mobo, it's very nice with the E6600 and a nvidia 8600GT videocard.

I tried several different osx versions, none of them wants to boot from the dvd, just gives me kernel panic with the "unable to find drivers for this platform: "ACPI"".

None of you had this problem?

Best regards Patrik

Are you using a SATA DVD drive? If so, switch to an IDE one will do!

• 3 months later...
Any lucky guy with same MOBO can upgrade to 10.4.10? What BIOS version are you using?

I did, using 0401 bios (best for overclocking). Word of warning though, only the 8.8.1 kernel gives you dual-core support. Don't use the so-called nforce kernels - they don't work at all on this board. You can use newer kernels but only if you boot with CPUS=1

I upgraded to 10.4.10 easily. Originally installed the JaS 10.4.8 from IDE to an IDE drive. Installed fine, and boots fine. Used the NF6 installer from www.nforcemac.info to upgrade to 10.4.9 and give me support for the 8800GTS card. Then I followed the guide in the tutorials section of the forum to upgrade to 10.4.10 keeping the kernel and system.kext from 10.4.8 (else I would lose dual-core).

Leopard was a success, but took a long time to figure it out. Basically, I installed the ToH RC2 DVD over my Tiger installation. I had to boot the DVD using the following switches or it would kernel panic:

-x -v -f cpus=1

Installed Leopard over Tiger. Reboot with commands -x -v -f cpus=1 again else it will kernel panic. I had to install the latest ToH speedstep kernel, and the two kexts that come with the package. As I have an nvidia card, NVDAResman causes kernel panic as it's not got my dev ID inside it. Easy way to fix that. Boot with -x -v cpus=1 and it would boot into a "safe boot" thing. Downloaded the 10.5.1 update, and installed it using Pacifist ignoring the kernel and appleintergratedframebuffer.kext

Before I rebooted, I ran mac.nub's NVInject for Leopard and then had to manually add my device ID to NVDAResman.kext Geforce.kext and NVDA50.kext and rebooted using only CPUS=1 as the switch.

System booted fine, and I had full video support. It was just a case of using the ALC883 installer from the mac.nub 10.4.10 DVD (for some reason others didn't work) for audio.

For the RTL8139 network card I have, I edited IONetworkingfamily.kext by replacing the IONetworkingfamily file with the "Time machine fix" file from IRC.

This is pretty much what I did. Unfortunately I stupidly tried to update the BIOS and broke the board completely so I cannot double check things. I did manage to make some, pretty lame, installers for the kexts I replaced including a little installer than gives you the new kernel, one for nvidia support and one for ALC883. However these are on my SATA drive which I can't access at the moment. If anybody needs these, I will upload them somewhere within a few days.

Finally, I am sorry if my writing is a mess. I'm pretty tired at the moment. Unfortunately I cannot respond to your PM's directly. If you want to ask something, please ask here so I can reply to the thread for the benefit of everybody. I will try and help as much as I can.

It's likely my next board won't be an nforce board. I'm planning on getting an Intel chipset.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on how to install Leopard in P5N-E SLI?

what iso image did you use? Kaliway BrazilMac ToH?

Also, does anyone know if this motherboard will support Penryn Chips? The quad core ones... Yorkfields?

thanks

fibblesan how are you able to get pass the waiting for root device with ToH RC2?

Hello Guys,

I was able to finally get 10.5.0 working with Asus P5N-E SLI. I will later post more detailed info. This is just to give hope for others like me trying to figure all this out (started myself just couple of days ago).

Asus P5N-E SLI (installed with bios 0505. Later downgraded to 0401 and still working).

NForce 650i chipset

E6400 Core2Duo

8800 GTS (320MB. G80)

Some cheap PCI-networkcard

Logitech G15 keyboard and wireless USB-mouse.

Integrated sound (883)

Flatimage 10.5.0 (DD'd from XP. iATKOS never finished install correctly. Blinking cursor etc. problems. Checked that mach_kernel was never installed)

+2 cores working and boots without any switches

+8800 GTS. works completely. 1680x1050x32. Quartz accelerated etc. No tearing

+integrated sound works but does not show in inspector

+home lan works and it sees mini, screen and disk sharing works both ways

+dualbooting with F8 in startup and manually choose booting disc (SATA=XP, IDE=Leo...)

+keyboard is correctly regognized (fin)

-integrated network doesn't work. Installed some cheapo card which works but network freezes after some time (working on this..)

-no SATA (working on it next)

-no sleep (ACPI not working yet)

Short story:

-"installed" from flatimage in XP to IDE-drive (dumped with DD so the disc is bootable w/o hassle and install.

-replaced kernel with mach_kernel_nForce.zip (with MacDrive)

-renamed ACPI and NVRES... stuff (again with MacDrive. detailed guide later...)

-booted with iATKOS DVD and used disk utility to fix permissions. Also terminal to fix kernel permissions

-booted from Leo IDE and went through setup (accidentally booted w/o switches and it worked with 2 cores etc.)

-installed NVInject (macdotnub) and manually edited .kext's (3) for correct device-id (0x0193) to right places

-restored NVRES...

-used Marvin CPU-tool to patch NVRES...

-installed some sound.pkg ...

-installed Golden-patch but kept existing mach_kernel (nforce)...

ToDo:

-Selectively install 10.5.1

-First enable Leopard to see SATA and then try to move installed partition to SATA

-Fix networking

-Fix ACPI

-Try different kernels

If and hopefully when I get 10.5.1 and rest of the stuff working correctly I will post detailed guide.

Cheers!

EDIT: With MeDevils (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77071) nForce SATA-driver I got SATA-drives to work.

-mcMike

• 6 months later...
Hi, i am using a Asus P5N-E sli, and using kalyway 10.5.2.

Everything seems to work after installation, except the network. Is the a sollution for it already??

Greetings Visje!

How were you able to get through the kalway version?? I tried installing many different types- first was kalway 10.5.2, then uphuck 10.4.9, then some other 10.5.1 (IDK what type), then iatkos v1r2 then iatkos v1r3, and so far no luck with any of them. I have tried installing on two different drives, one is an internal 80GB IDE drive and another is an external (USB) 120gb sata hdd. Some discs (like kalway and iatkos) I was able to install the OS, but the others wouldn't even get through the install without failing. When I did install the OS with the other versions (iatkos and kalway), I couldn't boot or got kernel panics or some error saying some file in a directory starting with library/blah or whatever was missing. So yea I haven't slept much in 2 days and need a solution. I'm losing my patience with this mobo.

any help?

(BTW I was using this guide-http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83092)

PS- I am also using a usb cd/dvd burner/reader, but I also tried an ide dvd burner (2 different ones) and got the same results)

oh and my specs are p5n-e sli (obviously), 4GB DDR2 800 (took out 1gb stick because I heard this board doesn't work well with 4gb of ram), 80GB ide drive for osx, external usb dvd drive, nvidia 8600gts (x2, took one out to see if I could get this to work), creative audigy pro 4 sound card, intel e6600 cpu, and plently of power (650watt psu)

Guys

How close is this board to a plain P5K? I have just reinstalled my machine using a specific method and everything seems to be functioning. My specs are:

P5K, E8400 Dual Core, 4 GB G-Skill 800Mhz ram, ASUS EN8600GT 512Mb, Samsung 500Gb SATA, Pioneer DVR-215 SATA DVD-RW.

Cheers

Bruce

How were you able to get through the kalway version?? I tried installing many different types- first was kalway 10.5.2, then uphuck 10.4.9, then some other 10.5.1 (IDK what type), then iatkos v1r2 then iatkos v1r3, and so far no luck with any of them. I have tried installing on two different drives, one is an internal 80GB IDE drive and another is an external (USB) 120gb sata hdd. Some discs (like kalway and iatkos) I was able to install the OS, but the others wouldn't even get through the install without failing. When I did install the OS with the other versions (iatkos and kalway), I couldn't boot or got kernel panics or some error saying some file in a directory starting with library/blah or whatever was missing. So yea I haven't slept much in 2 days and need a solution. I'm losing my patience with this mobo.

any help?

(BTW I was using this guide-http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83092)

PS- I am also using a usb cd/dvd burner/reader, but I also tried an ide dvd burner (2 different ones) and got the same results)

oh and my specs are p5n-e sli (obviously), 4GB DDR2 800 (took out 1gb stick because I heard this board doesn't work well with 4gb of ram), 80GB ide drive for osx, external usb dvd drive, nvidia 8600gts (x2, took one out to see if I could get this to work), creative audigy pro 4 sound card, intel e6600 cpu, and plently of power (650watt psu)

Hi there, check the excellent Mysticus C* thread on Intel CPU and nForce Motherboards here

and also check out my blog for my install guide for Kalyway 10.5.2 and iATKOS v2.0i......I have a Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus (650i) MOBO..... ;)

Then assuming these help you to successfully install OS X 10.5.2, use the excellent Mysticus C* updaters to be found here......these will take you to 10.5.4....... :)

Guys

How close is this board to a plain P5K? I have just reinstalled my machine using a specific method and everything seems to be functioning. My specs are:

P5K, E8400 Dual Core, 4 GB G-Skill 800Mhz ram, ASUS EN8600GT 512Mb, Samsung 500Gb SATA, Pioneer DVR-215 SATA DVD-RW.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce your P5K MOBO is based on Intel chipsets, specifically Intel® P35/ICH9 chipset, whereas the P5N-E SLI board is based on nVidia chipsets, specifically NVIDIA® nForce® 650i SLI™ chipset.......you see SLI in MOBO name.......means nVidia SLI technology onboard..... :)