Video Coloring looks better in FCP than Quicktime

dsc106

5 posts in this topic

When I capture in FCP, and watch the capture window, and play the timeline and view through the source monitor, my video files just look a little darker and the coloring looks a bit better. When I play it back in quicktime, it looks a little lighter and more washed out.

What is causing this?

Also, it seems there are maybe some aliasing issues or what not when playing back in quicktime? Is this the case? Someone mentioned that when playing back quicktime on the computer (when working with DV files0) it doesn't look as good as when you export the same file to TV and watch it then? Is this true?

The capture / source footage settings are as follows:

SOURCE:

Panasonic HVX-200

Standard Defintion footage (720x480), shot at 30p, Squeeze Mode (but the sensors on the hvx200 are true 16:9 sensors)

CAPTURE:

using the Panasonic DV setting, DV NTSC 48khz Anamorphic

I think most of your issues would be solved by changing a preference in quicktime player, check the box "use high-quality video setting when available"

Your DV should look just like it does in FCP. For sure the aliasing will be gone, I'm not 100% sure about the color or brightness looking different, but my thought is it'll take care of that too.

hmm, that setting is already checked. yeah I burned it to DVD and watched it on my screen, looks great. But in quick time, still a little brighter/washed out... any other ideas/