Shutdown keyboard shortcut - great for when you are testing video drivers

Jemm

9 posts in this topic

Ctrl + Command+ Eject is the apple keyboard shortcut to shutdown

On many non apple keybaords that translates to CTRL + Window Key + F12 held down for a couple of seconds.

Add the Alt key to the mix and you get a reboot rather than shutdown.

When mucking about with your Hackintosh sometimes it boots, but you can't see the screen, this is the way to shut down or reboot cleanly

exposé is F9 for me by default, at least at my laptop, bought an original Apple keyboard for my desktop pc and there its F9 too. F12 ejects my optical drive, just tested it.

On my apple keyboard F12 is the dashboard quicklaunch button as it has its own eject key.

F12 is only the eject key if you keep it pressed for a few seconds. If you just press F12 and release it quickly you will get the dashboard.

Sorry if I did not make that completely clear.

just tested this on my laptop, same here, pushing for short will open dashboard, holding it for a second will eject the optical drive.

However, thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

aKy

• 2 years later...

Hey thanks for the tip! I'm tampering with the screen resolution and getting light blue screens of death more often than not :D

May it be a concidence or not, I have Logitech PC keyboard which has an Eject icon painted over the F12 key. It's supposed to be pressed along with the 'Fn' key like in laptops, but I never used it in windows. Damn Fn key, it's taking the space of a right oprion key :)