7600GT - Slow OpenGL

11 posts in this topic

my 7600gt also performs about 100 points under openGL section of Xbench.

qe, ci, q2e enabled.

i tried ALL combinations of nv40 kexts, natits, titans, nvidiaefis and agpgarts, as well as different install dvds (JaS, Tubgirl, HotISO).

no improvement :(

i guess it has much to do with motherboard chipset, because one machine i installed osx on had 6600gt and scored about 125 (openGL).

that machine had nforce3 chipset (mine is via k8t800) - everything else was the same (cpu, mem type and quantity).

I've never liked XBench. Its results don't seem to show real world performance. Try OpenBench. My 7600GT gets about 15,700 in that. It takes a long time to run, but just let it go (it runs until it gets down to 9 fps, so it actually takes longer if you have a faster card. lol).

my PNY 7600GT get from 120-150 score in xbench

keep in mind that 100 is what a 6800 Ultra gets in a dual G5 mac

a few sec test of opengl performance can't be very accurate anyway.

edit: I got score 15501 in openMark, just ran it

Well, I got a score of 16,000 with OpenMark. Shoot, I was hoping a little bit of code in the right place would boost me.

I have read threads where people report hardware OpenGL scores ~5k using Cinebench, I get 3k. Motion 3 runs no better, and maybe even slower than the G5 with an 800xt I use at work. Also, I see x-bench scores for older macbooks ~150.

Well, I got a score of 16,000 with OpenMark. Shoot, I was hoping a little bit of code in the right place would boost me.

I have read threads where people report hardware OpenGL scores ~5k using Cinebench, I get 3k. Motion 3 runs no better, and maybe even slower than the G5 with an 800xt I use at work. Also, I see x-bench scores for older macbooks ~150.

As Sarahbau said: X-bench is BUSTED it's openGL scores have NO bearing on real world performance. What CPU are you on?

I believe my chip is a core duo 920. I'm hoping to do a bit more telecommuting, FCP / Motion / AE, and I'm not sure which upgrade to make first:

2gigs up to 4gigs

CD up to C2D

7600GT up to ?

Your thoughts appreciated...

I believe my chip is a core duo 920. I'm hoping to do a bit more telecommuting, FCP / Motion / AE, and I'm not sure which upgrade to make first:

2gigs up to 4gigs

CD up to C2D

7600GT up to ?

Your thoughts appreciated...

I'm thinking you mean Pentium D 920, which while dual core, is not a Core Duo.

tried OpenMark and scored 16980 which is comparable to what other people with 7600gt got.

i guess the drivers are fine and Xbench is NOT :thumbsup_anim: