Question about Widgets

8 posts in this topic

So i just got my glorious macbook (finally saw the light) And Im absouluty in love. Only problem is that I want the widgets to stay on my desktop. I know the command to enable bringing them foreward the only problem is that they like to stand on top of EVERYTHING so if anyone has an Idea to make them act as if there just a part of the very bottom of the desktop that would be awesome. Cheers!

So i just got my glorious macbook (finally saw the light) And Im absouluty in love. Only problem is that I want the widgets to stay on my desktop. I know the command to enable bringing them foreward the only problem is that they like to stand on top of EVERYTHING so if anyone has an Idea to make them act as if there just a part of the very bottom of the desktop that would be awesome. Cheers!

I don't think that's possible. However, I'm not 100% sure on that.

- Sb.

AHA!!!

If you'd like one of your Dashboard widgets to be available all the time, instead of only when you have activated Dashboard via F12, then activate the Dashboard dvelopment mode. Open the Terminal and type defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES and press Return. Then logout and log back in again. Now debugging mode is activated. To get a widget off of the Dashboard and onto your desktop, just do the following:

1. Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).

2. Begin dragging the widget.

3. Press F12 again, before letting up on the mouse button.

4. Drop the widget wherever you want it.

You can do the same thing in reverse to drag the widget back onto the Dashboard. Also of interest: while a widget is frontmost, you can press Command-R to reload it. (This may be necessary if a widget is buggy and gets messed up somehow.) There's even a nifty Core Image-based twirl effect to accompany the reload.

[This isn't really a hidden hack; it's the official way of working on a widget before it's done. However, I find it extremely useful -- there are certain widgets that you'd just rather see and use all the time, instead of only in Dashboard mode. Note that the widgets float above all windows, so this trick is most useful if you have some spare desktop space. To disable this mode, repeat the above command, but replace YES with NO, and then logout/login again. Note that you can also restart the Dock to make the changes take effect (the Dock controls the Dashboard).]

AHA!!!

If you'd like one of your Dashboard widgets to be available all the time, instead of only when you have activated Dashboard via F12, then activate the Dashboard dvelopment mode. Open the Terminal and type defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES and press Return. Then logout and log back in again. Now debugging mode is activated. To get a widget off of the Dashboard and onto your desktop, just do the following:

1. Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).

2. Begin dragging the widget.

3. Press F12 again, before letting up on the mouse button.

4. Drop the widget wherever you want it.

You can do the same thing in reverse to drag the widget back onto the Dashboard. Also of interest: while a widget is frontmost, you can press Command-R to reload it. (This may be necessary if a widget is buggy and gets messed up somehow.) There's even a nifty Core Image-based twirl effect to accompany the reload.

[This isn't really a hidden hack; it's the official way of working on a widget before it's done. However, I find it extremely useful -- there are certain widgets that you'd just rather see and use all the time, instead of only in Dashboard mode. Note that the widgets float above all windows, so this trick is most useful if you have some spare desktop space. To disable this mode, repeat the above command, but replace YES with NO, and then logout/login again. Note that you can also restart the Dock to make the changes take effect (the Dock controls the Dashboard).]

Yes, we already know this. He want's to know if it's possible to change the window order of the widget so that it is contsantly behind all windows. :(

- Sb.