Want to Remove Vista bootloader and only use Acronis

Mebster

8 posts in this topic

I was using Acronis as my bootloader to boot into XP and OS X. I just installed Vista and now when in Acronis I go into XP or Vista, it shows me a Vista bootloader. This one asks me whether I was to go into XP or Vista.

I want to disable this second bootloader so that when I select an OS in Acronis it directly enters that OS. I've tried a few things so far and nothing has worked. Thanks for any help :gun:

This is what happens so far:

OS X ---- Directly enters OS X

XP ------- Bootloader: XP or Vista

Vista ---- Bootloader: Xp or Vista

I want this:

OS X ---- Directly enters OS X

XP ------- Directly enters XP

Vista ---- Directly enters Vista

I take it you have each OS installed on a seperate HDD? If so, this is what you need to do:

1) http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1341/removi...tloader_startup

The above links explains how to remove the Vista bootloader from an XP installation. I would recommend you unplug your OS X and Vista HDD's whilst performing that guide. Then, after following it, whenever you try to boot your XP disk, it will use the XP bootloader.

2) There is a program for Vista called EasyBCD that can remove entires from the Vista bootloader. That should remove XP from the Vista bootloader, which should then mean it will go directly into Vista. :)

Hope that helps.

- Sb.

Hey Sabr,

thanks for the quick reply.

Actually all my OSs are installed on the same HDD. What should I do in that case?

The above problem still remains but now with an extra one. I foolishy thought formatting the partition and installing Vista again 'may' correct the situation or at worse be back at the position I am. Wrong!

Now when I select XP or Vista it takes me to a bootloader which has 3 options.

1. Previous Windows System - working XP

2. Vista - Working

3. Vista - dead link. shows an error and suggests I insert the installation DVD and run repair.

In XP this all would be fairly simple. Manually edit the boot.ini file. Here i'm stuck.

Ok, try using EasyBCD to edit your Vista boot loader - you should be able to remove the dead link to the old Vista installation with that. Alternatively, you could repair it with the Vista DVD. I will find out about how you should go about restoring all the individual boot loaders and get back to you tomorrow. :)

- Sb.

Edit: Here's a pic of what EasyBCD looks like. It's pretty much a tool for editing BCD.exe (vista's boot loader).

easybcd.png

Well Sbar Sabr (sorry - i really tried), I just gave the repair from DVD go and it failed to do anything with the dead link. But if you don't mind getting back to me tomorrow with a little more that would be great.

EDIT: I was going to ask if you if you run the application in XP or Vista but thanks to your pic I can see.

EDIT: I was going to ask if you if you run the application in XP or Vista but thanks to your pic I can see.

Yeah, run it in Vista :( That should be able to get rid of the dead link. Let me know how that goes and then we can try and get XP back to it's own boot loader (which I still have no idea on how to do just yet =/ ).

The problem is that Vista has overwritten the Master Boot Record, and i'm not sure if you can get XP and Vista to 'share' it, if you know what I mean. There's gotta be a way - it's just figuring it out that is the problem...

Yeah, run it in Vista :D That should be able to get rid of the dead link. Let me know how that goes and then we can try and get XP back to it's own boot loader (which I still have no idea on how to do just yet =/ ).

The problem is that Vista has overwritten the Master Boot Record, and i'm not sure if you can get XP and Vista to 'share' it, if you know what I mean. There's gotta be a way - it's just figuring it out that is the problem...

I managed to get rid of the dead link with the program. Thanks. But still not sure how to have XP and Vista load individually.

Thanks for your help.

Before installing vista, did you hide xp's partition? If not, and if xp's was active, vista used it to place its boot files.

Usually, when AOSS is re-activated (with the acronis boot cd), it takes control of the mbr. When selecting xp, it loaded vista's boot process.

If you hide xp's partition, and make vista-to-be partition active, then vista will install its boot files in that partition. Then you can unhide xp's partition, re-activate AOSS with its boot cd, and it should detect xp, vista and osx, and it should boot xp and vista independently. In the settings/properties for each OS items, each OS's own partition should be booted as active when selected.

I don't know where you're at right now. Did you try the fixboot & fixmbr steps (from sabr's link) to make xp boot alone again ? At worst, take the files ntldr, ntdetect.com from xp's cd and put them in xp's root, and put there also a boot.ini where you'll write the proper lines as if xp was alone (put the right partition number, no other os). I would hope at least the fixboot & fixmbr would fix xp's bootsector (if changed).

And again, if you (re)install vista, do hide xp! (use the 'advanced' hide in AOSS if need be).