Asus P5N-E SLI (650i) - Almost Perfect!

15 posts in this topic

I built a new PC today around the Asus P5N-E SLI, so I just thought I'd share my experiences. To install, I used JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 incl. PPF1, found at TPB a while back. I'd had an AMD Athlon 64 (3500+) system before and I ran OS X successfully on it for a few months, but it was an incredible pain in the ass to set up.

The complete specs of my system are:

Asus P5N-E SLI

Intel Core Duo 2 E6600

2GB Corsair Value Select

Point-Of-View nVidia 7600GT

160GB PATA (Seagate), 250GB SATA (Seagate), 74GB SATA (Western Digital Raptor)

To install I had to use the IDE drive, as the two SATA drives weren't picked up at all.

Anyway, with the first install I deselected everything apart from JaS's Intel & the Intel loginwindow patch. Installation completed but I was getting a panic in GeForce.kext at boot.

Second install, I used the same settings but included NV40 Titan. This worked pretty much perfectly, booted into OS X with QE/CI. Audio & Ethernet don't work out of the box. Audio can be fixed using a package I found here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520 (ALC883Audio.pkg). Ethernet might be usable if you edit the Yukon kext but I just used an old NIC I had lying around and it worked out without any configuration.

For SATA, I tried giving the nForce4 SATA/IDE kext a whirl and with it installed all my SATA drives could be seen and I was able to (briefly) navigate through them before I encountered a pretty weird bug. My drive activity light would light up and stay lit about 5 seconds after landing at the desktop. Finder would then promptly hang. Checking through system.log I noticed the error "IOATAController device blocking bus" being repeated every 30 seconds or so. I was able to repeat this in single user mode. The drive could be initially mounted in single user mode, but a few moments into running fsck the drive light but stay constantly lit and the "IOATAController device blocking bus" error would return. I've yet to find a fix for this and I'm kinda worried that I've inadvertently caused data corruption.

Hello!

I too have an ASUS P5N-E SLI board, same CPU, and 2 GB of DDR2 800 RAM. I have a GeForce 7900GS, which I overclocked like crazy. Audio seems to work fine for me, I can not however get all 5 speakers of my surround sound system going, only the front 2, oh well...

I have not touched the SATA drives, because I use an IDE for OS X. I was afraid of exactly what happened to you, with it freezing up.

With the LAN however, the board has a Marvell 88E1116 (I believe) and I can not find anything close to drivers resembling it. Nor can I find AppleYukon.kext or the thread that tells me how to edit it. I checked my OS files, and I found nothing.

Know anywhere where I would be able to get a real cheap LAN card that works with OS X? It doesnt need to be a Gigabit LAN card. Even if its only 10 Mb/s My internet is not a blazing fast service, and its split over a network.

But if you could help me out with the built in Ethernet, that would be great. Remember, Marvell 88E1116

If i install this, will i have HD SATA support natively on port 1,2,3,4 and so on?

I'm afraid not. After installing the nForce SATA driver you'll have access to your drives, but you'll probably corrupt them if you write anything to them and it's extremely buggy. Your best bet if you want SATA with this board is buy a cheap PCI/PCI-E SATA card based on the Silicon Image 3112/3114/3132 chipsets (they're extremely popular and a lot of no-name cards use this chipset). You can pick them up for around $25/€30 and they're a piece of cake to get working. I have a 3112 and it works great.

I wouldn't call non-functional SATA 'almost perfect' - most people use SATA drives these days!

This is just bound to result in more people posting in the nF4 SATA controller thread with 'why doesn't my SATA write work'-type questions....

• 2 weeks later...
I'm afraid not. After installing the nForce SATA driver you'll have access to your drives, but you'll probably corrupt them if you write anything to them and it's extremely buggy. Your best bet if you want SATA with this board is buy a cheap PCI/PCI-E SATA card based on the Silicon Image 3112/3114/3132 chipsets (they're extremely popular and a lot of no-name cards use this chipset). You can pick them up for around $25/€30 and they're a piece of cake to get working. I have a 3112 and it works great.

Hi, I'm just about to build a new pc based around the Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard and I was planning on putting OSX and Vista on it. What exactly does this PCI/PCI-E SATA card do? I was going to purchase a Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10, I have no idea what this SATA card is and how it works, could you please explain this to me? Is it easy to set up and use?

Hi, I'm just about to build a new pc based around the Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard and I was planning on putting OSX and Vista on it. What exactly does this PCI/PCI-E SATA card do? I was going to purchase a Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10, I have no idea what this SATA card is and how it works, could you please explain this to me? Is it easy to set up and use?

Instead of relying on your motherboard to support SATA through its onboard south bridge (in this case an nForce 450i, which isn't stable at all with the latest nForce kexts available), a PCI/PCI-E SATA card can support SATA drives by itself regardless of your motherboard. Most Silicon Image based SATA cards can be made to work with OS X. They're very easy to setup and use, you'll just need to add a device ID to VIAATAController.kext in most cases.

Instead of relying on your motherboard to support SATA through its onboard south bridge (in this case an nForce 450i, which isn't stable at all with the latest nForce kexts available), a PCI/PCI-E SATA card can support SATA drives by itself regardless of your motherboard. Most Silicon Image based SATA cards can be made to work with OS X. They're very easy to setup and use, you'll just need to add a device ID to VIAATAController.kext in most cases.

hmmm, so would i be able to use this drive: http://www.xpmicro.com.au/cgi-bin/foundati...T3320620AS.html as i normally would if it was just plugged in? Is this the a kind of SATA card your talking about: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/catalog/-p-3600.html

Thanks

hmmm, so would i be able to use this drive: http://www.xpmicro.com.au/cgi-bin/foundati...T3320620AS.html as i normally would if it was just plugged in?

Yeah exactly.

Is this the a kind of SATA card your talking about: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/catalog/-p-3600.html

What you're looking for is something like http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/catalog/-p-9726.html but I'm not sure what chipset this uses. If you're near any computing stores your best bet is to call in and have a peak at any of the cheap SATA cards they have and have a lookout for ones with a Silicon Image chipset (it'll be stamped on the biggest chip on the board). Lots of third parties use Silicon Image chipsets for their SATA controllers.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
Know anywhere where I would be able to get a real cheap LAN card that works with OS X? It doesnt need to be a Gigabit LAN card. Even if its only 10 Mb/s My internet is not a blazing fast service, and its split over a network.

But if you could help me out with the built in Ethernet, that would be great. Remember, Marvell 88E1116

Would also kill for a driver!!

• 1 month later...

A cheap lan card that can be detected by os x is Airlink ASOHORL Fast PCI card that can be bought to Fry's. www.outpost.com

It has Realtek 8139 chipset.

this is what i am using right now.

does any of you guys have luck with leopard?