1. 1. Which do prefer/want to own?

• I own a Tivo
    • I own an AppleTV
    • I want a Tivo
    • I want an Apple TV
    • Who needs either one of them?

5 posts in this topic

OK,

With all the hype surronding AppleTV, I thought I would start a thread to see which people preferred, AppleTV or Tivo. Not owning an AppleTV, I am curious outside of high-def video what it can do that a Tivo can't.

Personally I own a Series 2 Tivo with a 160 Gb hard drive I installed and a Wifi adapter this box is my dream media center. I can listen to my iTunes collection from Tivo. I can share video from my Mac to my Tivo. I can purchase movies through Amazon UnBox and watch them on my Tivo. I even get content from The Onion and Heavy.com delivered to my Tivo (Special note, Google the Superficial Friends or just go to Heavy if you want to laugh your posterior off!)

So, after all this I have to ask, what can the $299 AppleTV do that a $50 Tivo can't do? I mean granted I pay about $12 a month for my Tivo, but hell it is a DVR on top of everything else I listed above!

Oh yeah and forgot to add not only can I send video from the Mac to the Tivo, but vice-versa. Who needs to pay the iTunes store to see the Daily Show on my iPod when the Tivo records it, and I can very easily download it to my Mac and encode it for iTunes/iPod?!

you forgot the "I have both" option. Of which I do. For me they aren't at all the same thing. I have all my music and my entire DVD collection (over 200 movies) ripped into iTunes to stream through to the Apple TV, not to mention pictures. TiVo is for broadcast stuff.

you forgot the "I have both" option. Of which I do. For me they aren't at all the same thing. I have all my music and my entire DVD collection (over 200 movies) ripped into iTunes to stream through to the Apple TV, not to mention pictures. TiVo is for broadcast stuff.

What program are you using to rip DVD's to your HD?

Again though, my question is what can AppleTV do that Tivo can't? I already stream both music and video from my Mac to the Tivo. Also I have found it is a hell of a lot quicker to convert video to Mpeg2 compatible Tivo files then to convert the same video to iTunes/iPod H.264 video (using VisualHub).

Again though, my question is what can AppleTV do that Tivo can't?

I apologise if this has already been mentioned but: AppleTV works in the UK (Europe), and as far as I know, Tivo is an American service... :(

- Sb.