The Future -- Leopard

buzzert

3 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was just wondering, I've got a perfectly running OS 10.4.9 setup right now and I'm loving it. It's fast, pretty reliable, and just an overall pleasure to use. But what about when Leopard comes out? Will leopard's kernel be as easy to hack as Tiger's was? Will most of the Kexts that we use now be compatible with leopard?

I'm just getting kind of worried, because upgrading from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 was definitely not easy in my situation, and I really hope I'll be able to run Leopard. Let's hope Apple doesn't seriously lock it down.

A few people in the OSx86 scene have already gotten prerelease versions of Leopard running on regular PCs. However, they're wisely not revealing anything until at least Leopard's release, because if they do Apple will probably try and patch it.

You can rest assured that Leopard will, in some form, be able to run on standard PCs. As far as kexts and such go, I'm not sure. I don't know how different the Leopard architecture is from the Tiger one; depending on the amount of difference, some, many or all may have to be recoded.

Probably a lot less hardware will be supported as far as generic PC's goes. I'm sure all the well known apple developper-kit clones (915-chipsets, P4 s775 model 5x0 or 6x0 cpu's etc...) will be written-off. But I guess if you own a PC which resembles as much a reall Apple Mac as possible things won't be as bad.

In that case I wonder why nobody has dissected a real mac and put their excact hardware components on the wiki. They did it before. For instance. What chip do they use for their inbuild Isight cammera? And is it used through the USB-bus or connected differently? Or what sound-chips tho Apple PC's nowadays use? What bluetooth controllers are used inside the Mac-mini etc...

It might be a good idea to put up excact components of all major macs on the Wiki too.

Cheers