10 posts in this topic

hi guys im planning to buy a mini.. but before that.. i just want to know what you can do on a mini..

this will gonna be my first mac(if ever) aside from my hackintosh. :P

hmm... can i do some photoshop on it? and when you install bootcamp will it support "direct x"

i need to do my .NET too, does a mac mini capable of doing this?

Guest Ramm

Yeah, Photoshop doesn't require in GPU level renderings (such as OpenGL, or DirectX) so it doesn't even use the video card, really.

With the POSSIBLE new cube coming, if you want a compact one I would wait. Though if you go with a 17 inch imac you would be better off with a better graphics chip for certain things. Wait till WWDC here in a week here (exactly a week from today). See what is coming out and if you still get a mini, I do agree on the 2 gigs ram. All that ram is helpful in programs like said above. For maximum performance with ram, a Core 2 Duo is needed. *shrugs* It would be nice for you to go to an Apple store if you can and try the iMac and Mini out.

i see. so maybe boost my ram to 2 gig? darn or should i buy the basic 17 iMac instead?

Always a good idea to be upgrading the RAM.

I agree with sandmanfvrga, just see what goes down at wwdc before buying (if you can wait that long!)

The iMac vs mac mini question: It's really up to you, IMO the iMac range is more attractive than the mac mini right now, they have bigger hard drives and better graphics, the mini is slightly less worse value, but not a big difference.